Premium

3 Pages

Department
Anthropology
Course Code
ANTH 1220
Professor
Ellen R.Judd

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Description
lc78 Capital goods: items produced not for consumption but for the production of other goods o Ex: factories that produce machines, that produce other goods o Ex: raw rubber Social capital: bonds of reliable friendship, support, and obligations acquired within a community o Ex: friendships, alliances, gift giving (bond and obligation) Distributing and Exchanging Products and Services: Types of reciprocity: Generalized dont keep track (I give you something, you give me something friends) Balanced more formal (specific values) opposite of generalized (what I gave you, I want back the same) Negative one of the people makes a profit Ex: when we buy something Barter trade Example of balanced reciprocity: Trobriand Islands (South Pacific) Kula two step process Step 1: Men travel in circular patterns, island to island, stop along the way Give their hosts a shell necklace or armband (depending which direction their traveling clockwise or counter clockwise) Kula builds bonds, alliances, and friendship, although the shells have no value Ritual exchange of the objects Step 2:
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit