Psychology
Course
PSYC 1200
Professor
Debra Lall
Semester
Winter

Description
PSYC1200 03 05 2014 *Witch Trial* Salem Witches & Ergot • late 16th century -abnormal behaviour was attributed to evil entities or witchcraft • Salem Witch Trials • hallucinations, temporary blindness, strange speech & posture • execution of 38 people • might have been Ergot poisoning Deciding What is Abnormal • The Diagnostic & Statistical • Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th Edition (or DSM-IV) • DSM-IV-TR classifies abnormal behaviour using 7 criterions: 1) Distress or Disability: if a person experience disabilitating function, physical or psychological 2) Maladaptiveness: behaving in a way that is getting away of my goal, interfering w/ other's goals? 3) Irrationality: acting in a way others understand 4) Unpredictability: behaving in a way no expected from the norm 5) Unconventionally & Statistical Rarity: is the individual violating norm of social acceptable behaviour 6) Observer Discomfort: is my behaviour making others uncomfortable? 7) Violation of Moral & Ideal Standards: the person is violating expectations
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 1200

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit