March 28, 2013
March-28-13 11:34 AM
Enhanced Interrogation Techniques
- Many Republicans approved of the techniques approved by the Bush
- There are many reasons for terrorists not to be tried in the U.S.:
○ They'd have rights.
○ They can't testify against themselves.
○ They'd be subject to certain rights under the Constitution.
- Obama had argued that the Bush administration and miscalculated the Afghan
○ He pledged to pull troops out of the country by 2014.
- In 2012, the U.S. military, having reported earlier that Taliban attacks
decreased, admitted that the attacks did not decrease… they escalated.
Vice President Joe Biden
- When he visited Afghanistan a couple of weeks ago, he said that American
troops could stay in Afghanistan beyond 2014… if the Afghans want them to.
Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM)
- Really an al-Qaeda affiliate.
Obama and Terrorism
- Obama inherited a counter-terrorism program that he didn't like on a couple of
○ He didn't like the enhanced interrogation that made the U.S. seem like a
As a liberal, he probably found it reprehensible.
Liberals have a strong concept of human rights.
□ They tend to emphasize human rights.
- One of the biggest changes for strategy was… unmanned drones.
○ They were used under previous administrations, but not as extensively as
the Obama administration's use of them.
It's difficult for the enemy to shoot them down.
The pilot is thousands of miles away.