March 6, 2013
March-06-13 9:30 AM
No class on Friday, March 8, 2013!
- Came to rising because of the Soviets that made Afghanistan so bad due to
- With American air support and commando forces, they quickly drive the Taliban
- When it comes to actual warfare, as opposed to asymmetrical warfare.
- In 2001, Canada considered sending troops to Afghanistan.
○ Canada was looking for specific reasons: moral, etc.
- The worst thing about Afghanistan in terms of Canada's involvement:
○ It was never going to work.
○ The odds of succeeding was always going to be low.
○ There was nothing to reconstruct when nothing was there.
- The primary reconstruction teams are completely and totally religiously
different, with the exception of Turkey, and they didn't do that much.
○ Canada wasn't invested in a meaningful way.
○ The reconstruction of countries like Japan and Germany involved war.
- During World War II, the government stepped in and had price controls, etc.
○ Income tax became a temporary measure… and then became
- From a western perspective, in terms