PSY 223 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Not Otherwise Specified, Personality Disorder, Anorexia Nervosa

30 views3 pages
10 May 2018
School
Department
Course
Comorbidity and AN
80% will suffer from major depression
Up to 75% will suffer from anxiety disorders
Anxiety as a risk factor in the development of AN
Bulimia Nervosa (BN)
A disorder characterized by recurrent episodes of binge eating in combination with some
form of compensatory behavior aimed at undoing the effects of the binge or preventing
weight gain
Compensatory behaviors
-purging subtype vs. non-purging subtype
What one needs to be diagnosed with BN…
Recurrent episodes of binge eating
Experience a lack of control over eating
Engage in recurrent compensatory behaviors
-self-induced vomiting
-misuse of laxatives, diuretics, enemas, or other medications
-fasting or excessive exercise
What does BN really look like?
Some causes of BN…
Westernized societal emphasis on the “thin ideals,” culture-bound syndrome
Environmental exposure
Social learning:
Information sharing (i.e., hearing about it from friends or reading material on the
disorder)
Personality (i.e., low self-esteem, perfectionism, more impulsive, and have higher rates of
novelty seeking behaviors)
Comorbidity and BN
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Up to 75% will suffer from anxiety disorders. Anxiety as a risk factor in the development of an. A disorder characterized by recurrent episodes of binge eating in combination with some form of compensatory behavior aimed at undoing the effects of the binge or preventing weight gain. What one needs to be diagnosed with bn . Experience a lack of control over eating. Misuse of laxatives, diuretics, enemas, or other medications. Westernized societal emphasis on the thin ideals, culture-bound syndrome. Information sharing (i. e. , hearing about it from friends or reading material on the disorder) Personality (i. e. , low self-esteem, perfectionism, more impulsive, and have higher rates of novelty seeking behaviors) 80% of people with bn have another psychiatric disorder. Most common disorders seen in conjunction with bn: anxiety disorders, major depression, substance use, and personality disorders. A residual diagnostic category for people who have eating disorders that do not match the classic profile of anorexia nervosa or bulimia nervosa.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers