RLST 100 (61)

4 Pages

Department
Religious Studies
Course Code
RLST 112
Professor
Robert Kennedy

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Description
thNotes for RLST 110 61 for Thurs Jan 12121Vedas arrow Vedas larger Deities Castes Rig Samhitas Indva Brahmin Atharva Brahmanas Varuna Kshatriyas Yajur Aranyakas Agni Vaisya Sama Upanishads Soma ShudraBrahman vs Brahminthink I can only be this bc it has an I in it What is behind all of these deities they cant all be the greatest at the same time the real is one Kathenotheismongodatatimeism 2 Caste origin giant purusha self sacrificed everything that we know in this world comes out of the purusha same with the castesOrder is important Brahmincome from the mouth Kshatriyacome from the arms Vaishya come from the thighs heavyShudra come from the feet the Vedas are where we learn about this sacrificenot just a theological idea bc it had divine proofhas taken a long time 3 Change in Sacrifices and Priests role sacrifice is at the whole realitypartthe sacrifice takes on cosmic significancefeeding the purusha providing the sacrificethe sacrifice that the Brahmins offer is the ongoing sacrifice offered to the purushawho is like a big blown up deity who sits in the sky similar to the analogy of God as an old man sitting in the skyBrahminsknowledge of these cosmic sacrifices they have the knowledge to keep the world going and to feed the world knowledge
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit