AFM280 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Organizational Commitment, Job Performance, Centrality

78 views13 pages
Chapter 12- power, influence and negotiation
POWER, INFLUENCE, AND NEGOTIATION
Power can be defined as the ability to influence the behaviour of others and resist unwanted
influence in return.
Ma ties, poe eploees do’t ealize ho ifluetial the ould e
Power can be seen as the ability to resist the influence attempts of others
E.g. esist highe ups to do hat’s est fo the tea
E.g. resist employees to not be seen as a pushover
WHY ARE SOME PEOPLE MORE POEWRFUL THAN OTHERS?
ACQUIRING POWER
Othe’s poe a oe fo soe formal position (e.g. supervisor)
There are five major types of power that can grouped along two dimensions: organizational power
and personal power
ORGANIZATIONAL POWER
legitimate power is derived from a position of authority inside the organization and is sometimes
efeed to as foal authoit
people with titles such as a name on their door
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 13 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
they with legitimate power have the understood right to ask others to do things that are
considered within the scope of their authority
there are limits
e.g. a manager asks an employee to wash her car
good leader manages legitimate power to earn respect and get people to commit to their
endeavours
reward power exists when someone has control over the resources or rewards another person
wants
e.g. managers have control over raises, resources for jobs assignments
coercive power exists when a person has control over punishments in an organization
drives fear
e.g. managers have rights to demote and fire
this is a poor form of power to use regularly because it leads to negative feelings
PERSONAL POWER
personal forms power captures that soethig else a leade has
expert power is deied fo a peso’s epetise, skill, o koledge o hih othes deped
track record for high performance
Referent power exists when others have a desire to identify and be associated with a person
This desire is derived from an affection, admiration, or loyalty towards someone
E.g. when Oprah mentions a book on her show, it rockets up the bestseller list almost
immediately
It’s possile fo top people to hae all fie diesios of poe
Generally, the personal forms of power are more strongly related to organizational commitment
and job performance than organizational forms
Unlock document

CONTINGENCY FACTORS
Factors that affect the stegth of a peso’s ailit to use poe to ifluee othes
Substitutability is the degree to which people have alternatives in accessing resources. Individuals
that are able to control resources to which no one else has access can use their power to gain
greater influence
Discretion is the degree to which individuals have the right to make decisions on their own
Centrality epesets ho ipotat a peso’s jo is ad ho a people deped o that peso
to accomplish their tasks
Visibility is how aae othes ae of a idiidual’s poe ad positio
Unlock document

Document Summary

Acquiring power: othe(cid:396)"s po(cid:449)e(cid:396) (cid:373)a(cid:455) (cid:272)o(cid:373)e f(cid:396)o(cid:373) so(cid:373)e formal position (e. g. supervisor, there are five major types of power that can grouped along two dimensions: organizational power and personal power. It"s possi(cid:271)le fo(cid:396) top people to ha(cid:448)e all fi(cid:448)e di(cid:373)e(cid:374)sio(cid:374)s of po(cid:449)e(cid:396: generally, the personal forms of power are more strongly related to organizational commitment and job performance than organizational forms. Contingency factors: factors that affect the st(cid:396)e(cid:374)gth of a pe(cid:396)so(cid:374)"s a(cid:271)ilit(cid:455) to use po(cid:449)e(cid:396) to i(cid:374)flue(cid:374)(cid:272)e othe(cid:396)s, substitutability is the degree to which people have alternatives in accessing resources. Using influence: now we turn to the specific strategies that people use to translate their power into actual influence. Influence is the use of an actual behaviour that causes behavioural or attitudinal changes in others. Influence can be seen as directional: downwards- from top managers to bottom employees, upward- from employee to managers. The a(cid:271)solute po(cid:449)e(cid:396) of the (cid:862)i(cid:374)flue(cid:374)(cid:272)e(cid:396)(cid:863) a(cid:374)d (cid:862)i(cid:374)flue(cid:374)(cid:272)e(cid:863) is(cid:374)"t as important as the disparity between them.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers