AFM280 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Expectancy Theory, Goal Setting, Job Performance

152 views14 pages
Chapter 7 motivation
MOTIVATION
Motivation is defined as a set of energetic forces that originates both within and outside an
employee, initiates work-related effort, and determines its direction, intensity, and persistence
Internal forces such as self-confidence
External forces such as the goals an employee is given
Once the direction of effort has been decided, motivation goes on to determine how hard an
employee works- the intensity of effort- and for how long- the persistence of effort
Engagement: a widely-used term in contemporary workplaces that has different meanings
depending on the context; most often refers to motivation, but it can refer to affective commitment
WHY ARE SOME EMPLOYEES MORE MOTIVATED THAN OTHERS?
Expectancy Theory
Expectancy theory describes the cognitive process that employees go through to make choices
among different voluntary responses
This theory is directed toward pleasure and away from pain
Our choices depend on three specific beliefs: expectancy, instrumentality, and valence
Expectancy
Expectancy represents the belief that exerting a high level of effort will result in the successful
performance of some task (E P)
Subjective probability ranging from 0 to 1
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 14 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
E.g. if I do’t eliee that I’ good at itig oati poety, the I o’t eliee i y
effort to write a good poem
Factors that shape our expectancy for a particular task
Self-efficacy is defined as the belief that a person has the capabilities needed to executive the
behaviours required for a task success. It’s like self-confidence for a specific task
High levels of self-efficacy = high expectancy = more effort
Consider efficacy levels for a given task:
Employees consider their past accomplishments in similar tasks or observation for other
people doing the similar tasks
Veal pesuasio suh as get the jo doe pushes self-efficacy
Emotional cu es such as pride and enthusiasm can bolster confidence levels
Instrumentality
Instrumentality represents the belief that successful performance will result in some outcome
(P O)
We say soethig is istuetal he it helps attain something else
Valence
Unlock document

Valence reflects the anticipated value of the outcome associated with performance (V)
Valence can be positive (prefer having outcome X to not having it), negative (prefer to not have
outoe X, o zeo do’t ae aout outoe X
Positive outcomes: salaries, bonuses
Negative outcomes: disciplinary actions, demotions
Outcomes are deemed more attractive when they help satisfy needs
Needs can be defined as cognitive groupings or clusters of outcomes that are viewed as having
critical psychological or physiological consequences
An employee with a strong growth may prefer training over socializing with co-workers
Although cetai eeds ae uiesal aoss people, it’s likely that diffeet people have different
eed hieahies that they use to ealuate potetial outoes
Positive outcomes are likely to satisfy a number of different needs
Unlock document

Document Summary

Motivation: motivation is defined as a set of energetic forces that originates both within and outside an employee, initiates work-related effort, and determines its direction, intensity, and persistence. Instrumentality represents the belief that successful performance will result in some outcome (p o: we say so(cid:373)ethi(cid:374)g is (cid:862)i(cid:374)st(cid:396)u(cid:373)e(cid:374)tal(cid:863) (cid:449)he(cid:374) it helps attain something else. It is these self-set goals- which people use to monitor their own task progress- that have been shown to drive motivation and behaviour: goal setting works well when the assigned goal alters the level of the self-set goal. Equity theory: equity theory a(cid:272)k(cid:374)o(cid:449)ledges that (cid:373)oti(cid:448)atio(cid:374) does(cid:374)"t just depe(cid:374)d o(cid:374) you(cid:396) o(cid:449)(cid:374) (cid:271)eliefs a(cid:374)d circumstances but also on what happens to other people. In the first possibility, the ratio is balanced between you and your comparison other: feel a sense of equity and likely to maintain the intensity and persistence of your effort. It"s good to (cid:272)o(cid:373)pa(cid:396)e to a (cid:448)a(cid:396)iety of diffe(cid:396)e(cid:374)t othe(cid:396)s.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers