AFM391 Lecture Notes - Lecture 13: Book Value, Accrued Interest

38 views2 pages
Derecognition Through Offsetting and In-Substance Defeasance
Offsetting
I owe someone $10, but they owe me $15; it shows they owe me $5
o
Practice of showing the net dollar amount of related assets and liabilities on the balance sheet rather than separate
-
E.g. if I don’t show the $10 I owed someone else, I can still borrow $10
o
Improves financial ratios and free up borrowing capacity from covenants and maximum debt.
-
Offsetting compromises the user’s ability to correctly interpret the financial results
-
Reporting entity must intent to settle on a net basis and legally able to offset amounts against each other
-
Offsetting reflects economic substance of the situation
o
-
In-Substance Defeasance
Arrangement where funds sufficient to satisfy a liability are placed in trust with a third party to pay directly to the
creditor at maturity
-
Companies want to satisfy a liability before maturity date, but restrictions don’t let them
-
Defeasance would result in derecognition only if creditor formally confirms entity is no longer liable
Borrower cannot derecognize the obligation through in
-
substance defeasance
o
Its pretty shit because of IFRS rules
-
Comprehensive Bond
CCL Sold $10,000,000 five year 5% bonds dated January 1, 2018 for $9,500,000. CCL used the proceed to pay off its
investment bank's fee of $200,000 and legal fees of $300,000
-
Interest is payable on June 30 and December 31 each year
-
Maturity value is $10,000,000 and PV is $9,000,000
-
Callable bonds on January 1, 2020 at 102 means (102% of face value plus accrued interest) and the company ends up
calling 60% of the bond on the call date.
-
Record Bond Issuance
-
Same for next payments until December 31, 2019 except different interest expense
o
Record Interest Accrued
-
AFM 391 Page 7
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Practice of showing the net dollar amount of related assets and liabilities on the balance sheet rather than separate. I owe someone , but they owe me ; it shows they owe me . Improves financial ratios and free up borrowing capacity from covenants and maximum debt. E. g. if i don"t show the i owed someone else, i can still borrow . Offsetting compromises the user"s ability to correctly interpret the financial results. Reporting entity must intent to settle on a net basis and legally able to offset amounts against each other. Entity has two chequing accounts with same bank, one which is overdrawn. Offsetting reflects economic substance of the situation o o o o. Arrangement where funds sufficient to satisfy a liability are placed in trust with a third party to pay directly to the creditor at maturity. Companies want to satisfy a liability before maturity date, but restrictions don"t let them.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers