Lecture 11

Data Lecture 11.docx

3 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Waterloo
Computer Science
CS 138
Michael Godfrey

Data Lecture 11 February 12, 2013 Mid-term Notes  REVIEW UNIX FILE PERMISSIONS  Reference parameters are used on midterm  i=(i+1)%n o Modular arithmetic Comments on Pointers & Defensive Programming  With pointers, it’s easy to make subtle & hard-to-find mistakes that you discover much later in program execution (or not at all)  Friends you need to get to know: o Drawing diagrams o A good debugger o Assertions & print statements & judicious commenting  When diagnostic print statement?  At beginning/end of function call  Just after creating something “now”  Just before deleting something  At major decision point  Any time you do something interesting  When to assert?  Check that logic/assumptions are correct o q.last==NULL if q.first==NULL  Check that “client” is being reasonable o Check queue is non-empty before allowing pop Reference Parameters  C and Java support only call-by-value o I.e. create a copy of calling parameter in the activation record (AR) of the procedure on the run-time stack o Changes made to copies do not percolate back to calling environment  Parameter storage disappears when function call ends and AR is popped off the stack o Can change v
More Less

Related notes for CS 138

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.