ECON321 Lecture Notes - Lecture 26: Econometrica, Dependent And Independent Variables

69 views3 pages

Document Summary

Introduction to econometrics 321, spring 2013, university of waterloo. Example: how does education a ect the wage a person receives? (i. e. what is the private return to education?) The object of interest is (cid:1)wage (cid:1)years_of_education (i. e. how much does wage change for each unit change in years of education?) Remark. (cid:1)wage (cid:1)years_of_education is the slope of the relation between wage and years_of_education. This relationship may be non-linear but throughout the course (with some excep- tions) we will assume that it is linear. The bene(cid:133)t of investing in education depends in part on the slope of the relation between education and wage. Knowing the slope is therefore valuable for policy analysis. The most important thing about the object of interest (cid:1)wage (cid:1)years_of_education is that it is unknown! Therefore we must use data to estimate it. We assume that for each individual i, her wage, wagei, is determined by her years of education, years_of_educationi, and other factors.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers