PSYCHOLOGICAL DISORDERS AND THERAPY
Learning Objectives: Lecture ~ Unipolar Depression
Introduction to Psychopathology
1. Identify and briefly describe the 6 models of abnormality.
2. What is the DSM and what are its functions?
3. Describe the goals of therapy.
Description of Unipolar Depression
4. Describe the DSM criteria for depression.
5. Describe the emotional, cognitive, motivational, and somatic symptoms of unipolar depression.
6. Describe the prevalence of depression and explain why it might be considered the “common cold” of
7. Describe the 3 patterns of depression following the first episode.
The Medical Model
8. Identify the 4 possible causes of illness according to the medical model.
9. Describe the evidence for a genetic cause and explain the possible role of the 5-HTT gene.
10. Describe the neurotransmitters suspected to play a role in depression.
11. Explain how tricyclic antidepressants and MAO inhibitors influence the sy