Psychology
Course
PSYCH 211
Professor
Chris Burris
Semester
Winter

Description
LECTURE 5 – POSSESION AND EXORCISM POSSESION AND EXORCISM – ORIGINS 1. METAPHYSICAL  assumes animistic dualism (2 aspects of reality: spiritual and materialistic)  understanding of possession: an alienated spirit comes into one’s body and invades and controls it  CHARACTERS: Malevolent Benevolent Neutral agent Demon GODS Unquiet death – disoriented human spirits motive Destruction Instructions Confusion  Separating out  Become channelers  Disoriented spirits don’t relationship from other and have made know where to go. people or God contact to a spirit to offer spiritual guidance to people method “SIN” victim compliance “CHOSEN” “INFECTION”  Demons don’t just mug  preparation through  through body opening; e.g.: you without any reason grace surgery  (e.g.: documentary, the  dirt and disorder can be the disabled lady have been cause recently attached to a  documentary example, the religion and then old lady who came from an possessed right after) operation and been possessed after. intervention Over possession NONE BARGAINING  Ritual exorcism to drive  Ritual exorcism out spiritual entity  “I’ll leave but you have to meet my demands.” *Verbal or Physical  Will determine what kind of intervention has to be done  i.e.: Religious symbols (e.g.: documentary examples, holy water)  Some other people do evil to make the body unhabitable. - “Since your body is a nice place to live, I’ll invade it.” So people will do evil things to make their bodies not a nice place to live/ for spirits to leave (due to possession)  Canhoto incident - Believed that a girl is possessed, they let her drink lots of water until she vomits the water and the spirits - Somehow makes the spirit comes out.  Label of evil determines intervention 2. PSYCHOLOGICAL  Assumes mechanistic dualism (two aspects of human functioning: mind and body; mind affects the body and vice versa)  What is happening in a possession can be explained by a mental activity  It challenges our lay assumptions about self. - We normally think of ourselves as stable, unified identity and contextually defined - Integrity continuity - We should be alert, in control of ourselves Cheyne’s Sleep paralysis Research - Experiencing self as I What we assume happens:  Conscious Intention *“I want to do”+ -------- therefore --- Action *“I do”+ What research suggests really happens? Non conscious Processing Conscious intention Action  Non-conscious Processing c
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 211

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit