Psychology
Course
PSYCH 230
Professor
John Rempel
Semester
Fall

Description
Monday, September 23, 2013 Psych 230 – Lecture Four Multiple Choice Survival Guide Text-based Items - Approximately 25 questions from the text (around 5-7 questions per reading or chapter) - Questions will relate to major points in the chapters (chapter summaries to read how the main points connect) Lecture-based items - Approximately 25 questions (around 5 per lecture) - Some “were you conscious” questions – present and attentive in lectures - Understanding o Recognizing a key principle in a novel context o Apply principles to new phenomenon Structure and Organization - Don’t focus on the details and overlook the reason why the details are being presented - Headings matter - Take note of major points being made, and see how the sub-points and specific details contribute to these bigger themes An Integrative Model of Offending - Dominance at the expense of others in their own benefit - Laws and rules designed to regulate behaviour Integrative Model of Offending: Structural Antecedents - Physiological Precursors o Temperament (few things that differentiate us at birth; inborn predispositions – “easy babies vs. hard babies” – sensory stimulations: how strongly do we react to them – i.e. how easily one can be overwhelmed – disintermission, “let’s rob a store, I’m bored”) o Dysregulation of neurotransmitters (i.e. serotonin) o Hormonal levels (i.e. hormonal irregularities – like excessive testosterone can lead to dominant or even aggressive behaviour) o Size and strength (a small person can have a lot of aggression, but won’t act as much as a big person would) o Brain injury o IQ level (high IQ can still be deviant, some are more associated with others in specific crimes) - Environmental/Contextual Influences o Family environment (i.e. criminality, substance abuse, psychopathy) o Parenting (i.e. attachment level, discipline style) o Social environment (i.e. SES, neighbourhood, media) Monday, September 23, 2013 Psych 230 – Lecture Four o Peer relationships (i.e. d
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 230

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit