Psych 207 CHAPTER 9

4 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYCH207
Professor
Jennifer Stolz

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
CHAPTER 9 – LANGUAGE 1. WHAT IS LANGUAGE?  Structure: Has structural principles such as a grammar or a system of rules and principles that specifies the properties of expression - Structure that has to do with sound (phones)  Localization: Various physical mechanisms… specific language centers in the brains of the brain - Uses particular areas of the brain; different types of brain injury  Use: used for expression of thought, establishing social relationships, communication of ideas, clarifying ideas. - The way we choose to convey an idea is regular and consistent - Language is arbitrary: e.g.: there is nothing inherent in a water bottle, it’s just an arbitrary association of letters and words that made up the word water bottle  Animals can communicate. Monkeys holding each other’s hands doesn’t convey language because: 1. It is not arbitrary (arbitrary: there’s nothing about the sound I’m producing that communicates the ideas of the message; e.g.: bee’s job of finding the food is not language) 2. Animals can’t tell another animal what an enjoyable place is, all they can communicate is a systemized route they do every day. 3. Animals’ communication doesn’t have the same productiveness with humans. You can’t generate an infinite amount of ideas or information to animals, unlike humans. E.g.: Every person could say anything they haven’t heard, learn from it and use it. 2. STRUCTURE OF LANGUAGE * Phonology/Morphology - Phoneme: smallest unit of sound we can make that could change a meaning to a word e.g. mat vs. cat – by substituting the phoneme m to phoneme c, we could make the word mat to cat. - Morpheme: smallest unit of sound we can make that has its own meaning. The things we add to a word to change its meaning is also a morpheme. If they are not use as endings, they are not morphemes. e.g. Take vs. taking – take has a meaning, taking has two morphemes (take and –ing). – ing is also a morpheme because it changes the meaning of the morpheme take. - Grapheme – the letters in our language Once you learn a particular grapheme, we have an idea how would that grapheme sound in a particular word. However, it’s not always the case. - Deep orthography- The translations from grapheme to phoneme are not 100 percent reliable. English is a deep orthography language. There is not a one to one correspondent between graphemes and phonemes in the English language which made it harder to learn. (Shallow – Spanish). * Syntax - Rule for how to put together sentences and phrases; grammar of the language e.g.: not using double negatives e.g. English is Subject Verb Object - “The girl will hit the boy”. (not all language uses SVO) * The(determinant) poodle (noun) (noun phrase) will chase (verb phrase) the red ball (noun phrase). - The and poodle could be together to form a noun phrase. Flexibility of the English language: This sentence could also change its sequence to form the same meaning of the sentence. * Semantics - Meaning; the whole importance and reason of using language is to impart meaning -producing language is producing meaning. Comprehending language is comprehending meaning. 1. Anomaly - “Coffee ice-cream can dictation” - The syntax is perfect but it doesn’t have a useful meaning. 2. Contradictions - “My dog is not an animal” - We all know that a dog is an animal. This can make sense as well can’t make sense at the same time. 3. Ambiguity - “I need to go to the bank” - There are two places that correspond to bank. Hence we tend to only have one sense of one particular word. - In the brain, all the meaning of the word bank is being activated and your brain only activated one meaning. - Good readers vs. not good 4. Synonym - “The rabbit is not old enough” - We could say that the Rabbit is too young. 5. Entailment - “Pat is my uncle” - We communicate differently to friends, doctors or strangers. We tend to let our behavior be governed by rules. * - you know that pat has to be a guy *phonological rules – how you pronounce a word * Pragmatics (see textbook for this) - Social rules of language; ho
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit