PSYCH253 Lecture Notes - Fundamental Attribution Error, Impression Formation, Social Cognition

22 views3 pages

Document Summary

How we select, interpret, and remember info about ourselves and our social world. Afraid (silence of the lambs: ascription of human vs. general traits to pets. Gestalt person perception model (asch: factors shaping impression formation. Order in which a word (information) occurs. Centrality of certain works (i. e. cold/warm: asch claimed we form a gestalt of the person. The sum is greater than the parts: revision to centrality effect. Thin-slice accuracy: many false alarms/false misses with the chance of guessing/detection. Understanding why (and who: interpreting others" acts accurately aids survival. Functions of attributions: help predict and control environment, help determine thoughts and feelings, and behaviours, influence expectations for future, impact on own performance. Two basic types of attributions (heider: internal/person attributions i. e. personality, ability, attitude, external/situational attributions i. e. other people, luck, pressure. Correspondent inference theory (jones: people often infer that behaviours correspond to [traits/dispositions of] the people enacting them. Non-common effects arise from a specific behaviour and not from alternative behaviours.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers