Sociology (709)
SOC 201 (24)

Definitions and Understanding of Victimology

2 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Waterloo
SOC 201
Barry Mc Clinchey

Definitions and Understanding of Victimology How do we think about victims? - Victims of disease (effort often place some responsibility on the victim) o i.e. victims of smoking - Victims of natural disasters - Victims of negligence – negligence behaviour causing a tragedy - Victims of state persecution and war - Victims of criminal behaviour - Victims of resource exploitation - Individuals wrongfully convicted - Victims of bullying - Victims of fraud - Blaming the victim o Tendency to assume that victims must accept some degree of responsibility (consensus of societies) Clarifying the term “Victim” - The Criminal Code of Canada considers someone a victim if he/she has been a victim of an offence under the Act (2007) - Injured/killed as a consequence of impaired driving would be considered a victim - “Victim” refers to one who is killed, injured, or otherwise harmed by another - “Victimology” – the study of victims and the social context in which they exist (victim’s perspective) - “Criminology” – the study of crime (basically offender focused) Victim Advocacy Groups - Educating victims in seeking help in reporting/victim services - Understand legal concepts and other advice - Helping/counseling with “what do I do next”/other processes - Services in communities emerging into provincial legislation HISTORY – King Henry II of England and Common Law - Individual roles in society and of the state (King Henry) Concepts of victims and offenders - The historical relationship set the responsibility for retribution on the victim - The offence violated the victim - The commission of the offence violated “nature” - Necessary to accomplish a
More Less

Related notes for SOC 201

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.