by OneClass235004 , Fall 2013
13 Pages

Department
Statistics
Course Code
STAT231
Professor
Matthias Schonlau

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 13 pages of the document.
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
Home Page
Title Page
Contents
 
 
Page 46 of 77
Go Back
Full Screen
Close
Quit
First Prev Next Last Go Back Full Screen Close Quit
Statistical Inference
We have looked at the sampling distribution of estimators and
confidence intervals
Look at the idea of a hypothesis test and the p-value scale of
evidence
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
Home Page
Title Page
Contents
 
 
Page 47 of 77
Go Back
Full Screen
Close
Quit
Testing statistical hypotheses
There are often hypotheses that a statistician or scientist might
want to “test” in the light of observed data.
Two important types of hypotheses are
(1) that a parameter vector θhas some specified value θ0; we
denote this as H0:θ=θ0.
(2) that a random variable Yhas a specified probability distri-
bution, say with p.d.f. f0(y); we denote this as H0:Y
f0(y).
We shall concentrate on the first of these.
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
Home Page
Title Page
Contents
 
 
Page 48 of 77
Go Back
Full Screen
Close
Quit
Statistical approach
Assume that the hypothesis H0will be tested using some ran-
dom data “Data”.
Define a test statistic (also called a discrepancy measure)D=
g(Data) that is constructed to measure the degree of “agree-
ment” between Data and the hypothesis H0.
It is conventional to define Dso that D=0represents the
best possible agreement between the data and H0, and so that
the larger Dis, the poorer the agreement.
Once specific observed “data” have been collected, let dobs =
g(data)be the corresponding observed value of D.
To test H, we now calculate the observed significance level
(also called the p-value), defined as
pvalue =Pr(Ddobs;H0),(5)
where the notation “;H0” means “assuming H0is true”.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Home Page Statistical Inference Title Page • We have looked at the sampling distribution of estimators and confidence intervals Contents • Look at the idea of a hypothesis test and the p -value scale of evidence Page 46 of 77 Go Back Full Screen Close Quit •First• Prev •Next •Last • Go Back •Full Screen •Close •Quit                                     Home Page Testing statistical hypotheses Title Page • Thereareoftenhypothesesthatastatisticianorscientistmight want to “test” in the light of observed data. Contents • Two important types of hypotheses are (1) that a parameter vector θ has some specified value θ ; we 0 denote this as H 0: θ = θ 0. (2) that a random variable Y has a specified probability distri- bution, say with p.d.f. f (y) ; we denote this as H : Y ∼ 0 0 Page 47 of 77 f 0y) . • We shall concentrate on the first of these. Go Back Full Screen Close Quit     •Firs•Prev •Next•Last•Go Back •Full Scre•Close•Quit                   Home Page Statistical approach Title Page • Assume that the hypothesis H 0will be tested using some ran- dom data “Data”. Contents • Defineateststatistic(alsocalledadiscrepancymeasure) D = g(Data) that is constructed to measure the degree of “agree- ment” between Data and the hypothesis H 0. • It is conventional to define D so that D =0 represents the best possible agreement between the data and H 0, and so that the larger D is, the poorer the agreement. Page 48 of 77 • Once specific observed “data” have been collected, let d = obs Go Back g(data ) be the corresponding observed value of D . • To test H , we now calculate the observed significance level Full Screen (also called the p-value), defined as Close p − value = Pr(D ≥ d ;H ), obs 0 (5) Quit where the notation “ ;H 0 ” means “assuming H 0is true”. •Fir•Prev•NextLast•Go Bac•Full Scr•Clos•Quit                                 Home Page Meaning of p -value Title Page • If p-value is close to zero then we are inclined to doubt that H 0 is true, because if it is true the probability of getting agree- Contents ment as poor or worse than observed is small. • This makes the alternative explanation that H 0 is false more appealing. • In other words, we must accept that one of the following two statements is correct.: Page 49 of 77 (a) H 0 is true but by chance we have observed data that indi- cate poor agreement with H 0, or Go Back (b) H 0 is false. Full Screen Close Quit       • Firs•Prev•Next •Last•Go Back•Full Scree•Close•Quit                               Home Page Meaning of p -value Title Page • In summary, the p -value is a numerical scale which measures the strength of evidence in the data against some hypothesis. Contents • It is a number between 0 and 1 • The smaller the value the more evidence against the hypoth- esis. • In order to have an agreement about what ‘small’ means the following scale is often used, but you should not take it as Page 50 of 77 anything but a rule of thumb. Go Back Full Screen Close Quit       •First•Prev •Next •Last •Go Back •Full Screen•Close •Quit                               Home Page Meaning of p -value Title Page Significance level Interpretation p> 0.10 no evidence against the hypothesised value 0.05
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit