Chemistry
Course
CHEM 205
Professor
All Professors
Semester
Winter

Description
CHEM 205 lecture 7 • First law of thermodynamics talks about conservation of E o Doesn’t specify direction or efficiency of a reaction. Doesn’t say anything against “impossible processes” like cold water becoming cooler and hot water becoming hotter spontaneously. • Second law of thermodynamics dictates entropy (no 100% conversion of q into useful w) o “It is impossible for a CYCLIC process whose sole effect=flow of heatsystem from heat reservoir and for the performance of equivalent amount of work by the system on the surroundings. o Wq can be 100% o But qW will never be 100%, always some heat loss. Eg. Friction. • For a reversible, non-spontaneous process: ΔS=0----we can only make this reaction happen if we do work on the system • For a irreversible, spontaneous process: ΔS>0 o When I say ΔS, I am referring to TOTAL entropy aka. Entropy of the UNIVERSE • Rate has nothing to do with if a reaction is spontaneous or nonspontaneous • Entropy is a state function where S=q(rev)/T • Why do we say total entropy is always increasing (or staying the same at the very best
More Less

Related notes for CHEM 205

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit