EOSC 114 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Tropical Cyclone Naming, Return Period, Carrying Capacity

39 views3 pages
Fragile Systems 3
Learning Objectives
• Sietifi ouiatio: hat tpes ill ou eoute duig this ouse
• Copae ad otast isk, peeptio of isk, hazad, ad uleailit.
• Reogize ho poo huas ae at judgig isk ad ho ou perceptions skew your ability to judge
risk.
• Relate atual‐disaste isk & itesit to feue, etu peiod, ad oseuees osts.
• Desie populatio goth ad eplai h it is ipotat fo atual disastes.
• Eplai ho Eath’s aig capacity and overpopulation are related to the fate of the human race,
and anticipate your role in it.
Framework concepts:
- Processes: what causes the event or how does it work
- Forecasts or predictions: how or to what extent, can any aspect (location, time, severity, etc.) be
anticipated using technology, observations or any other means?
- Consequences: how were people, communities or the environment impacted by the event?
- Mitigation: how can we minimize the effects, or recover as quickly and efficiently as possible?
Clicker question:
This statement which above applies to it? The two category 5 hurricances of the 2017 Atlantic hurricane
season are compared in terms of cost in lives and damage to infrastructure: Consequences
Clicker question:
This statement, which above applies to it? An article presents analysis of samples of lava to determine
whether that laval was more or less fluid and therefore how it erupted: Processes
Purpose or intentions of authors:
• Soietal oeta
• A ouiatio aout siee itte to ifo o‐speialists
• Nes fo puli
• Couiatio to epets i the sujet, aout e sietifi ethods, poedues, esults o
discoveries.
• A oeta o epot aied at akig eoedatios aout pioities, poli, o deision
making
• A epot itte to addess the eeds of a liet o othe thid pat ho a hae asked fo the
report.
Clicker question: Authors explore a few websites on a topic, then summarize their thoughts in a blog. Is
this…
a) Primary literature
b) Secondary literature
c) Tertiary literature
d) Not really scientific literature
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Processes: what causes the event or how does it work. The two category 5 hurricances of the 2017 atlantic hurricane season are compared in terms of cost in lives and damage to infrastructure: consequences. An article presents analysis of samples of lava to determine whether that laval was more or less fluid and therefore how it erupted: processes. Clicker question: authors explore a few websites on a topic, then summarize their thoughts in a blog. Is this : primary literature, secondary literature, tertiary literature, not really scientific literature. Authors conduct the research then write an article communicating results for a peer reviewed journal: primary, secondary, tertiary, not really. Secondary: summary or review of the original authors work. Hazard: any event or situation that could cause human (death, injuries) or economic harm (property and prosperity) Vulnerability: a weakness that could be affected by a disaster (or how badly it could be affected)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers