EOSC 118 Lecture 31: Lesson 31

151 views6 pages

Document Summary

Life cycle process: exploring and finding mineral deposit, mining the resource, recovering the resource, reclaiming the land. Differentiate between the 6 discrete phases of mineral resource development: bc geological survey phases. Geoscience: undertaken by government bodies and academic institutions (bcgs, ubc earth and ocean sciences dept) o. Pre-production phase: financially riskiest phase: exploration - finding potential mineral deposits underneath the ground, discovery - verifying findings with geological surveys and extensive drilling, development - appraising mineral deposit and determining if it is economical to mine o. Includes feasibility, engineering, metallurgical, infrastructure studies, consultation with local communities, acquiring mine permits, and due diligence studies: outlines area and method of extraction, preliminary mining and infrastructure development. Production phase: happens if mine is economical to develop: begins production, marketing, and sale of commodities, exploration and operation continues for as long as it can. Exploration methods differ depending on type of mineral and its geological setting.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers