GEOG 329 Lecture Notes - Lecture 13: Electorate

36 views3 pages
22 Oct 2017
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Representative democracy: a type of elective system where the general people ask for representation (there is indirect participation by the community) It is considered legitimate since there is acceptation by the community to the results of the voting. There is also a responsibility towards the community during their decision-making process --> if things go wrong (i. e. the individual representing is incompetent), they can be replaced. Vote-buying or intimidation of voters --> especially in poor countries. Plantistic: your access to social benefits (e. g. finance, jobs, employment) is controlled by patronage, the local people understand that you have to view for the patron. Biased selection of voting population, e. g. voting criteria (age, gender, ethnicity, literacy, criminal record and etc. ) Timing of elections (during the working day, limited hours, breaks) When you can move voters around (i. e. through housing policies or just temporarily) Logistics of elections (i. e. the voting booths locations) --> are they accessible to local populations (including marginalized populations?)

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers