Premium

3 Pages

Department
Sociology
Course Code
SOCI 102
Professor
Catherine Corrigall- Brown

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Description
SOCI – MARCH 28 Why do students drop out?  Pressure  Not enough support Functional illiteracy: reading and writing skills inadequate for everyday living DROP OUT RATES  1971  48%  1991  32%  2007  18% WHO IS LIKELY TO DROP OUT:  Critical pedagogy  Single/no parent homes * o Is this saying that single parents are bad parents? o Headed by women  feminization in poverty o Also bc of money  Parents with lower educational attainment o Risk factor  Have dependent children o Teen mom  Have lower grades o “Why would I do something I’m not good at?” o streaming kids through the school system even when they are not competent  failed an elementary grade  worked more than 20 hours/week in Gr 12* o is there a link? o Helping to support the family working o But also includes children who wants money o “I need to get experience”  substance abuse  culture o becomes a norm o becomes a positive thing to achieve o “culture of cool” CONTINUITY (HISTORY)  culture  big term that you can’t be critical of, gives us our sense of history NOVELTY  how do you make something new  there is a diminishing sense of novelty in pop culture  finding something that is brand new CULTURAL HEGEMONY SOCIAL CHANGE  comes through legislation Pop culture  ever changing  mainstream ORIGINS OF CULTURE  Abstra
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit