SOCI 201 Lecture Notes - Lecture 13: No Authority, Enculturation, Social Order

10 views9 pages
23 Oct 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Ideas themselves become commodities: significant change in understanding of our culture in way culture works, so on, no longer is it free, you have to gain access to it. Ernest gellner (in reader: parallels anderson, definition of nationalism (pg. Can"t develop shared values without printing press, etc. Central issues: legitimacy, culture, organisation of state, becomes reorganised around communicating with it"s populous in a brand new way, new institutions become central. "once none had the state, then some had it, and finally all have it. " (pg. "the "state" is that institution/set of institutions specifically concerned w/ enforcement of order. " (pg. The executioner: violating the law, violated the state"s border. Returning to the history: emergence of industrial capitalism, protestant reformation breaks down the monolithic religious authority of. "i may not doubt that anything exists, except doubt itself: no authority that has the power to override what i think through my experiences/participation/knowledge, allowed to descent/question, (dangerously) radical, expressing philosophically new age.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers