PSYC 4120 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Richard Herrnstein, Frankfurt School, Intersectionality

19 views2 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Equality in america: historical racial division -> dominant white race, historical class division, dominant middle/rich class, historical gender hegemony, universal male dominance. Diversity: historical challenges: root: social construction of differences (non-ideological, charles murray & richard herrnstein (1994, unitary measure of intelligence, standards of the dominant ideology, certain characteristics valued -> privilege, other devalued -> marginalized -> oppression. If your parents are deaf but you can hear, you have the power/privilege to translate and communicate with them. 2 traits that disadvantage you and 2 that privilege you over others: that i"m a female and i"m a millennial, that i"m asian and i can speak english, speak up and defend negative stereotypes. Ability to do what you want even in the face of opposition. Challenging patterns of oppression and discrimination: critical theory. The intentional and unintentional domination individual, cultural, and structural levels. Equality -> same treatment regardless of individual differences. Equity, treatment based on individual needs e. g. ramp, specialized software.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers