BIO318 Lecture 4
- What does a cuckoo bird do?
o Beg from worker ants
o Take from other nests or drop their eggs into other nests
o The brutal hatchlings of the cuckoos and push out other hatchlings
Fed by the host bird
o Some ducks also act as cuckoos amongst their own species
o In Canada, cowbird is like a cuckoo
- The biological environment: case study – the cuckoo
o Linking natural selection to diversification
- The eggs of hosts and cuckoos
o Cuckoo eggs mimic host eggs
o Other than Dunnock
Useless in distinguishing cuckoo and model eggs from its own eggs
Poorly discriminates cuckoo eggs and as a result suffers
o Host race
o Cuckoo specialize on a particular host and develop an egg that matches the host
o Diversity amongst a species; polymorphism
- What do you expect about the discriminating ability of different hosts?
- Why are dunnocks hopeless discriminators?