January 31, 2013
- In terms of individually (one-on-one), how we present ourselves to
- And globally (macro)
- Socialization and Interaction closely related.
- Interaction is connected to socialization
- If we ignore interaction we risk isolating interactive behavior
- Doesn’t get us very far to understanding why things happen in society
- Helps us understand authority and others.
- Everyone is capable of doing virtually anything, we can understand
more by looking at social context.
6 Degrees of Isolation
- Through 6 people you’re connected through anyone in the world
- Social Network: “ A bounded set of individuals who are linked by the
exchange of material or emotional resources.
- Different relationships linking people to other people and through that
you’re linked to more people.
- We’re all linked through these relationships
- Material Ex: Pictures, videos, etc
- There are many ways we can think of networks
- Network analysts interested in interactions with each other
Strong Ties and Weak ties
- Who are our strong ties: family, friends,
- Who are your weak ties: colleagues, acquaintances,
- People in our network whom we’re not closely related.
- Weak ties are more important when looking for job b/c more
- Weak ties are more diverse networks and know more people (Strength
of Weak Ties)
- Example of Weakness of strong ties: Meth in the USA
Recreational drug use exploded in 60s.
The dangers of meth became more apparent b/c more people
were using them January 31, 2013
Effects include financial ruin, violence and neglect of children,
lack of hygiene, brain damage, etc.
In 2005, gov’t made restricting regulations regarding meth.
Small groups had to work together to get to small quantities of
Mom and popshops started.
Small groups had to work together to go to each store, state, etc.
Response: organized distribution of meth from Mexico.
In terms of cooking: making and cooking close friends
Destruction associated with meth in small network
- Not all networks bad though
- Example of good network: Couchsurfing
Couchsurfing: between dating and Facebook sites.
You can look into places you can stay while travelling.
Brings together different age groups, mostly avid travellers
Brings together different cultures and people who are interested
in learning and experiencing different things.
When the internet first came about, the concern was that