January 8, 2013
SOC: Lecture 1
What is Sociology?
- Sociology is: “The systematic study of human behavior in social context.”
- Sociology looks at the relationship and interplay
- “Sociological Imagination”: Refers to the ability to see the connection between
what we call personal troubles and social structure; The ability to put our personal
struggles and put them into a perspective that allows us to see society and make
connections between our troubles and society’s troubles.
- Personal troubles: Homelessness, end of relationships, financial struggles, we
think of ourselves and our problems
- Social Structures: They essentially make up our society
- Three main social levels micro, macro, global
- Micro: Intimate relationships; our connections wit