For unlimited access to Class Notes, a Class+ subscription is required.
Stratification - p.453-470
November 10, 2011
- Political Economy: property passed along in the family
- unemployment can negatively affect families (change within ppl in the
- who inherits what, under what conditions, etc.
- family invention to control flow of property
- Social Constructionist: when u couple w/ someone else, u don't know who u are
until u do it
why? indv dealing w/ another person in terms of roles, u are responding to
the other person by how u interact
- trying to understand why inequality so pervasive
- inequality not difference (diversity)
- Ascribed characteristics: any chars u are born with (sex, area born into, fam born
into, economic born into, religion [usually])
- determine the rest of ur life
-Achieved characteristics: chars u accomplish on ur own that then change ur status
(could be better or worse)
- Mobility (upward/downward) - socioeconomic ladder [make money/not]
Functionalism: the more education u have, the more income u get
developed mythology --> that income/edu graph represents ur chances to b
American dream: get ahead by geting gud edu = gud job = $$$
Why do ppl accept inequality?