Psychology of Prejudice
10th January, 2013
Martin Luther King Jr.
- Gave a very famous speech; dreamed of a day when people of all colours and creeds would be
judged as equals.
- It was a speech that improved racial rights
- His dream has not become a reality yet
- Today people are still judged by the colour of their skin, their clothing, their hair etc
Prejudice Still Around?
- Rwandan genocide, 190 000 people killed in 90 days
- Two trival groups Hutus and Tootsies, the tootsies were slaughtered and killed with machetes
- Although they looked similar and spoke the same language they were still killed
- Indonesian Riots; the largest target of the violence were ethnic Chinese people, who were
targeted by the masses
Houston suburb opposes plan for mosque
- A plan to build a mosque, lead to the dispute among the society
- They thought that it would influence terrorism, the society had a fear of muslims
- A man even threatened that he would hold pig races to offend races
- This Is symbolic racism, because the society doesn’t necessarily hate Muslims but they are afraid
of what would happen if those particular people move into the neighbourhood
The hunger games
- Rue; a character from the hunger games, she’s described as a person with dark skin. In the
movie in turned out that they cast Rue as a black girl. Some people posted on Twitter, why is
Rue black, it didn’t make me as sad when she died.
- These are incidences that shows that prejudice is still around
- However things are getting better, we are getting closer to change
- With Obama being elected. However Obama isn’t fully black, he’s half white which could be a
reason why some people voted for him.
- A few years ago after election. A fake conservative talk show host said that racism is over.