Class Notes (974,313)
CA (574,491)
UVic (3,009)
ANTH (70)
ANTH 100 (40)
Lecture 6

ANTH 100 Lecture 6: Chapter 7 (Archaeology of last 5000 years)

6 Pages
Fall 2016

Department
Anthropology
Course Code
ANTH 100
Professor
Erin Mc Guire
Lecture

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.
Chapter 7: Archaeology of the last 5000 years (MG)
Ancient Civilization
Civilization: Archeologists would accept that a society characterized as one must have one or all
of the following:
1. One city
- In archaeology, city is usually defined as a settlement having at least 5000 residents
2. Monumental architecture
- Includes buildings, but it also often features other large structures like pyramids
3. Subsistence based on agriculture
4. State level of political organization
5. System of writing
- Leads to describing a society as a civilization
- Other characteristics are generally already in place and have been for a thousand
years or more
Civilization = sometimes, but not always, equated with a state level of political organization.
- Used to describe several distinct states in a region, with each meeting the criteria of
civilization
Empire: When one state dominates or exercises control over others.
- Often identified in the archaeological record by comingling of cultural traditions and
connecting road systems
Sumerians (Iraq)
This area is known as Mesopotamia.
- Deeloped orld’s earliest syste of writing, known as cuneiform
- In more recent times, this area was dominated by Persian, Roman, and Islamic
empires
Ancient Egypt
Generally accepted that Egyptian civilization began with the development of writing.
- Early writing is known as hieroglyphics and can be deciphered using the Rosetta
Stone.
find more resources at oneclass.com
- It was in the earliest stages of the Egyptian civilizations that the famous pyramids
were constructed
- This region was later dominated by Roman and Islamic empires
Minoans
One of the first European civilization, centered in and around the Mediterranean, especially on
the islands of Crete.
- The civilization rose about 4000 years ago
- Its collapse was likely due to the tsunami that caused significant damage to the ports
controlled by them
- This area was dominated by the Greek, Roman, and Byzantine empires
Asia had many well known civilizations earliest was known as Harappan.
- This civilization was centered in modern day Pakistan
- Emerged about 4400 years ago
- It provides the first evidence of sewage infrastructure piping from inside houses
joining to larger piping that carried waste out of the residential area
Shang
- Started in China
- Emerged about 3800 years ago
- The well known terra cotta comprises about 8000 lives size warriors deposited in
formation near the tomb of the first emperor of the area
There were many well known civilizations in Central and South America in ancient times.
Mesoamerica
- Emerged about 3500 years ago
- Because of these territorial expansions and domination, the Maya, Aztec, and Inka
civilizations are often referred to as empires
All civilizations eventually collapse. Sometimes the answer is obvious but sometimes other
civilizations, explanations are not so clear and there is debate.
Ecological Explanation
- Involve some environmental occurrence, which in turn, makes it impossible to
effectively feed the population and maintain the infrastructure
- Similarly, epidemic diseases among crops are suggested by some as a cause of
reduced food production

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
1. Chapter 7: Archaeology of the last 5000 years (MG) Ancient Civilization Civilization: Archeologists would accept that a society characterized as one must have one or all of the following: 1. One city - In archaeology, city is usually defined as a settlement having at least 5000 residents 2. Monumental architecture - Includes buildings, but it also often features other large structures like pyramids 3. Subsistence based on agriculture 4. State level of political organization 5. System of writing - Leads to describing a society as a civilization - Other characteristics are generally already in place and have been for a thousand years or more Civilization = sometimes, but not always, equated with a state level of political organization. - Used to describe several distinct states in a region, with each meeting the criteria of civilization Empire: When one state dominates or exercises control over others. - Often identified in the archaeological record by comingling of cultural traditions and connecting road systems Sumerians (Iraq) This area is known as Mesopotamia. - Developed world’s earliest system of writing, known as cuneiform - In more recent times, this area was dominated by Persian, Roman, and Islamic empires Ancient Egypt Generally accepted that Egyptian civilization began with the development of writing. - Early writing is known as hieroglyphics and can be deciphered using the Rosetta Stone. - It was in the earliest stages of the Egyptian civilizations that the famous pyramids were constructed - This region was later dominated by Roman and Islamic empires Minoans One of the first European civilization, centered in and around the Mediterranean, especially on the islands of Crete. - The civilization rose about 4000 years ago - Its collapse was likely due to the tsunami that caused significant damage to the ports controlled by them - This area was dominated by the Greek, Roman, and Byzantine empires Asia had many well known civilizations – earliest was known as Harappan. - This civilization was centered in modern day Pakistan - Emerged about 4400 years ago - It provides the first evidence of sewage infrastructure – piping from inside houses joining to larger piping that carried waste out of the residential area Shang - Started in China - Emerged about 3800 years ago - The well known terra – cotta comprises about 8000 lives – size warriors deposited in formation near the tomb of the first emperor of the area There were many well – known civilizations in Central and South America in ancient times. Mesoamerica - Emerged about 3500 years ago - Because of these territorial expansions and domination, the Maya, Aztec, and Inka civilizations are often referred to as empires All civilizations eventually collapse. Sometimes the answer is obvious but sometimes other civilizations, explanations are not so clear and there is debate. Ecological Explanation - Involve some environmental occurrence, which in turn, makes it impossible to effectively feed the population and maintain the infrastructure - Similarly, epidemic diseases among crops are suggested by some as a cause of reduced food production (E.g.) Overuse of the soil for farming also leads to reduced food production, which can result in land slides (more land difficulties) (E.g.) There is some evidence that some large sites have been abandoned due to irrigation, this increases salinity of the soils, rendering them deficient for agriculture. Social/Political Explanation Often invoke conflict as an important variable is the collapse of civilizations. (E.g.) infighting likely led to too many resources supporting war or other forms of conflict, at the expense of others, perhaps more important aspects of the civilizations, such as maintaining enough food for all. Examples of this internal conflict include the continual fighting among the independent states of the Sumerians in Mesopotamia or the fighting among various groups. - Some archaeologists suggest civilizations collapse because of their failure to create or maintain trading alliances. Religion Explanation Also has been invoked as a cause of collapse. (E.g.) Collapse of the Maya may have been caused by religious leaders redirecting resources for religion and ritual at the expense of subsistence. - Leaders demanded more resources for religious purposes; this is in turn leads to an even worse crop the following year, ultimately ending with the civilization’s downfall. Population Estimates, Continued Colonization, and Maintaining Diversity Population Estimates and Growth Estimating populations from prehistoric times is fraught with difficulties, but archeologists are still able to make approximations. Principle difficulties include: 1. Many prehistoric sites for which no reco
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit