BIOL 329 Lecture Notes - Lecture 23: Teratology, Introduced Species, Auk

18 views2 pages
Lect 23
Eggs of seabirds having higher and higher concentrations of diethyl ethers which are carcinogenic,
teratogenic, mutagenic. Number are useful for context but not relevant to exam material.
Biomagnification of toxins is the relevancy.
Rodents are extensively poisoned if eaten by raptors (owls), the owls are also poisoned.
Itrodued speies doiate the diet of reedig ura Cooper’s hawks i BC. Europea starlig, house
sparrow, European rabbit.
Barred Owls: rats are the most common prey.
Northern Spotted Owl: Restricted to old-growth coastal forest: 30-100 nesting pairs in BC. Northern
edge of range. Territorial, nocturnal, home range up to 50 km2. Feed on small mammals, birds. Predated
by RTHA, GHOW, GOSH, MART. Solitary in winter...
Are BAOW replacing NSOW? Old growth forests are obviously disappearing. Barred owls should be
considered a threat to the northern spotted owl. Barred owl expanding territory into NSOW territory
decline in spotted.
Killed several Barred Owls to see if it impacted the NSOW. When Barred are removed no increase in
spotted owl BUT they were no longer declining (which occurred while the barred owls were present).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seabird life histories and conservation
(Order) Charadriformes: (Family) Alcidae (Murre, Murrelets, Auklets, Guillemot, Puffin). All excellent
underwater flyers (with wings) and most are weak aerial fliers (high wing loading). Most are burrow
nesters and colonial nesters (nest in large groups). Open island (Triangle island) and forest (Limestone
island). Chicks recognize call of their own parents overnight swim out 40 km at shore (away from
predators eagles).
Cassi’s Auklet: ost audat alid ad ost oo (Alaska – California). 600,000 pairs (most at
Triangle island). Dives for euphausids (down to 50 m) rather than fish regurgitate oil to young.
Nighttime feeding. Nest in burrows on small islands, 1 egg, 40 days incubation. High fidelity/philopatry
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Eggs of seabirds having higher and higher concentrations of diethyl ethers which are carcinogenic, teratogenic, mutagenic. Number are useful for context but not relevant to exam material. Rodents are extensively poisoned if eaten by raptors (owls), the owls are also poisoned. I(cid:374)trodu(cid:272)ed spe(cid:272)ies do(cid:373)i(cid:374)ate the diet of (cid:271)reedi(cid:374)g ur(cid:271)a(cid:374) cooper"s hawks i(cid:374) bc. Barred owls: rats are the most common prey. Northern spotted owl: restricted to old-growth coastal forest: 30-100 nesting pairs in bc. Territorial, nocturnal, home range up to 50 km2. Barred owls should be considered a threat to the northern spotted owl. Barred owl expanding territory into nsow territory decline in spotted. Killed several barred owls to see if it impacted the nsow. When barred are removed no increase in spotted owl but they were no longer declining (which occurred while the barred owls were present). Seabird life histories and conservation (order) charadriformes: (family) alcidae (murre, murrelets, auklets, guillemot, puffin).

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers