BIOL 345 Lecture Notes - Lecture 16: Multiple Choice, Parental Investment, Botfly

62 views3 pages

Document Summary

Langur females seek out epm (extra-pair matings) as this leads to fewer attacks outside males on her young. Males do not attack young if there is small probability that young are his own. A comparison of female mating strategies in pan troglodytes and pongo spp. More likely to protect offspring because might be his. Male i(cid:374)fa(cid:374)ti(cid:272)ide leads to so(cid:272)ial (cid:373)o(cid:374)oga(cid:373)(cid:455): so(cid:272)ial (cid:373)o(cid:374)oga(cid:373)(cid:455) (cid:271)est e(cid:454)plai(cid:374)ed (cid:271)(cid:455). Male does(cid:374)"t (cid:449)a(cid:374)t to i(cid:374)(cid:448)est i(cid:374) offspri(cid:374)g that are(cid:374)"t his. Extra pair paternity causes male to switch protection from own brood to entire community. Decreased likelihood of infanticide because there is a higher chance that offspring are his. Sex-specific diferential: extra pair young are less likely to survive, recruited epy survived for fewer years than recruited within pair young. Survival differences between e and w was sex specific. F epy less likely to survive to independence and recruitment and lived fewer years than wpy, male epy were slightly more likely to survive thant male wpy.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers