What is wrong with making $?
“Making money is not immoral, nor is commercialization immoral. When sport becomes overly
commercialized though, athletes, coaches, and sport managers may be tempted to let a nonmoral value
like money, success, or fame influence moral decisions.”
What does overly mean?
Can we live with the negative consequences of losing sponsorship dollars?
Who gets to decide on the appropriateness of sponsor?
Olympic Values (Olympic.ca)
1. Excellence: we believe in the right of all people to pursue their personal levels of excellence.
2. Fun: We believe in sport being fun.
3. Fairness: we believe in fairness on and off the field play, as characterized by equality, integrity
4. Respect: We believe in free and open communication and respect for the views, roles and
contribution of all.
5. Human development: We believe that the short and long term physical, social, mental, and
spiritual wellbeing of all should be enhanced through appropriate behavior and practices
6. Leadership: We believe those who participate
If it bothers you, do something
NCAA paying athletes
1. Is it fair? Who stands to benefit from the current system?
2. How would we value different athletes?
o How much money do they bring in to the university?
3. What alternatives to the status quo exist?
o Do most good and least harm.
Everybody’s marking money off – Johnny Manziel except Johnny Manziel.
NCAA’s Value – Are they being followed?
1. Athletics In Higher Education