Oct 22, 2012 Preparation, Krater, sym-
Symposium • In The Symposium, the sym-
Meaning: Drinking together.
• posiarch is Agathon。
• A lot of things we lack evidence, • They must decide the jar for wine.
but not for this particular topic. • Must decide how big the wine hold-
• This topic has a lot of information er is and now much wine to drink.
preserved, such as from poetry. • Socrates had a lot of self control
We have poems written for it,
• when he's drinking.
prose written about it, and pottery • Fill everyones glass and you don't
with images of symposium. drink.
• symposium is plural, symposia is • Someone will give a short speech,
singular. and then we drink.
• Then it over one, next person gives
• Means pertaining to symposia. • They also decide what the theme
• Eating and drinking were very pri- of the night is going to be.
vate things back then.
Bars were for lower class people; if
you drank on the streets its like • Each Symposium also has a central
picking your nose in public. theme.
• Usually it is about an elevated dis-
Seating Arrangement cussion, they have high minded dis-
• A certain room is used for it.
• Woman must go upstairs and can
not be seen. Interrupted Symposium/events
• One of the rooms will be turned • Alcibiades, shows up drunk.
into a "man cave" which is a cham- • Forces everyone to drink.
ber for dining. Gives a drunk talk about how he
• A bunch of couches and recline on tried to get with Socrates and want-
your left elbow. ed Socrates to fall in love with him.
• The honour guest sat next to the • Instead Socrates makes Alcibiades
host. falls in love with him.
• In The Symposium, Socrates sat A hot girl comes to play the flute,
next to the host. instead they just send her off to
• And then the rest of the people sit start their discussion.
by rankings or social status. • She was sexually available too.
• First thing you do is eat. • These girls were required to know
The Symposium is like the ideal
format of a symposium. • They were expected to make the
• Then they was their hands, make a world more beautiful.
prayer. • They played drinking games too.
• Wear a garland around your head,
wear perfume. Symposium Events drink certain drinks, talk about cer-
• If a girl was at a Symposium, then tain stuff every time.
they'll never be from a respectable • They drink so much and they do
family. the same thing people nowadays do
• There were male performers too… when they're high.
• A lot of prostitutes, call-girls and Greek Sexuality
mistresses. • Our sexual values and opinion
Woman were paid to participate were not the same as them.
(or their owner if she's a slave) , • We have very defined sexual iden-
they were trained as a young girl. tities: either straight or gay or bi,
• These sexual activities were al- etc.
ways drew onto vases. • Greeks wouldn't understand that,
These vases would be buried with they'll think we're obsessed with our
the guys when they die. sexual orientations.
• They had orgies…awks. • They weren't sexually defined.