Classical Studies
Course
Classical Studies 1000
Professor
Prof
Semester
Fall

Description
Sept 24, 2012 • Example: Greek Mythology, Olympics Archaic Greece (800-490) Wealth and War The Polis began forming • • Smaller extremes of wealth, every- • When do the Greeks become the Greeks one was more or less the same. that we know? Now. • Hoplites are soldiers for the city • When you look at a city that was a "po- states. lis", then you knew it was Greek • The tactic they used in wars was The Polis was a centre of Greek culture • called phalanx. These fighting style • They had a conception of how human emphasizes on everyone standing to- life was for: gether. • The Greeks, the polis was the institu- • You had a huge shields and stood be- tion, a tool used to achieve. side your people, and then it would be a wall of shields. • Like every culture, the Greeks thought they were more superior from barbarians. • Most people were in the same social • The most consistent reason was the class. Greeks lived in a polis where everyone • Most Greeks had a farm. That tends else were slaves. to encourage people to demand for equality. Leaving the Dark Age The world livens up. Tyrants Smaller communities Citizens start ban- • In periods of Greek history it shows ning together. up in the Greek poems. • A ruler who came to power in a non- Autonomy of the Polis traditional way. • Law and Custom, Justice, obedience • Citizens appeal to him when the citi- • exclusively to this Polis. zens are in trouble. • Important to really be a part of your • Tyrant will storm into town and he own community, the sacrifice they're will- will take over immediately. ing to do to go into is very disturbing. • They just do what they want, and • They grew up in this think that becomes some Greeks thought this was terrible: their support. no discussion?!?!? • How do u convince people to ban to- gether to form a community? Structure of a Polis Little bureaucracy; a system of gov- • You kind of lie to them and create a sto- • ry. ernment in which most of the impor- • If we keep expanding our bonds with tant decisions are made by state offi- new people, we'll loose them. cials rather than by elected represen- tatives. • Little revenues made. Factors Assisting the Polis • Geography • Governance: the assembly of the • Few Powerful Neighbors people, a council of elders, elders cho- • Pan-Hellenism: In spite the differences, sen leaders. there were still things that involved all • Tyrant says: we're gonna build a park, give me money! the Greeks. • Greeks: no, if u want to build a park, lets •If she divorces, she takes her shit sit down and talk about it and discuss it, home with her. and then i'll give u the money. Don't tell •The vows are simple: the girls father me what to do. says to the husband "i give this girl What makes up a Household? to you to create flowers and legit •The
More Less

Related notes for Classical Studies 1000

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit