Sept 24, 2012 • Example: Greek Mythology, Olympics
Archaic Greece (800-490) Wealth and War
The Polis began forming
• • Smaller extremes of wealth, every-
• When do the Greeks become the Greeks one was more or less the same.
that we know? Now. • Hoplites are soldiers for the city
• When you look at a city that was a "po- states.
lis", then you knew it was Greek • The tactic they used in wars was
The Polis was a centre of Greek culture
• called phalanx. These fighting style
• They had a conception of how human emphasizes on everyone standing to-
life was for: gether.
• The Greeks, the polis was the institu- • You had a huge shields and stood be-
tion, a tool used to achieve. side your people, and then it would be
a wall of shields.
• Like every culture, the Greeks thought
they were more superior from barbarians. • Most people were in the same social
• The most consistent reason was the class.
Greeks lived in a polis where everyone • Most Greeks had a farm. That tends
else were slaves. to encourage people to demand for
Leaving the Dark Age
The world livens up. Tyrants
Smaller communities Citizens start ban- • In periods of Greek history it shows
ning together. up in the Greek poems.
• A ruler who came to power in a non-
Autonomy of the Polis traditional way.
• Law and Custom, Justice, obedience • Citizens appeal to him when the citi-
• exclusively to this Polis. zens are in trouble.
• Important to really be a part of your • Tyrant will storm into town and he
own community, the sacrifice they're will- will take over immediately.
ing to do to go into is very disturbing. • They just do what they want, and
• They grew up in this think that becomes some Greeks thought this was terrible:
their support. no discussion?!?!?
• How do u convince people to ban to-
gether to form a community? Structure of a Polis
Little bureaucracy; a system of gov-
• You kind of lie to them and create a sto- •
ry. ernment in which most of the impor-
• If we keep expanding our bonds with tant decisions are made by state offi-
new people, we'll loose them. cials rather than by elected represen-
• Little revenues made.
Factors Assisting the Polis
• Geography • Governance: the assembly of the
• Few Powerful Neighbors people, a council of elders, elders cho-
• Pan-Hellenism: In spite the differences, sen leaders.
there were still things that involved all • Tyrant says: we're gonna build a
park, give me money!
the Greeks. • Greeks: no, if u want to build a park, lets •If she divorces, she takes her shit
sit down and talk about it and discuss it, home with her.
and then i'll give u the money. Don't tell •The vows are simple: the girls father
me what to do. says to the husband "i give this girl
What makes up a Household? to you to create flowers and legit