Psychology 1000 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Scientific Method, Kinsey Reports

11 views3 pages
abdullah32 and 39352 others unlocked
PSYCH 1000 Full Course Notes
PSYCH 1000 Full Course Notes
Verified Note
111 documents

Document Summary

Cognitive dissonance: you justify your actions in your mind (i"m a good person, i lied for a dollar, therefore i didn"t really lie it was okay) 1: design and execute the experiment, variable and control, determine the truth", communicate the results, identify the problem: Hypothesis: tentative statement about a relation between 2 or more events. Good theories generate good (testable) hypotheses: ex. Unconscious motivation, unresolved conflicts: behaviour theory. Better because it is testable: design and execute the experiment. Identify variables: independent (manipulated, what is different, dependent (measured) Control: we want to say that independent causes dependent, we can"t say this without control, without proper control, the experiment is confounded. We don"t know whether it was our manipulation that caused the result or something else: ex. The order in which you drink it. More than half" is a meaningless statistic there is a difference between the letter m" and q": determine the truth.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers