Premium

2 Pages

Department
Communication Studies
Course Code
CS100
Professor
Jade Miller

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Photography
Sontag reading
What photograph meant to society
To photograph is to appropriate the thing being photographed 174
Pictures provide
Value
Evidence
Writing vs photo
While a painting or pose description can never be other than a narrowly select9ive
interpretation, a photograph can be treated as a narrowly selective transparency
(175)
Social context
Nuclear family as dominant social unit
Multi-generations under one roof model in decline
Documenting for one another
Sontag
These is an aggression implicit in every use of the camera
Experience as photographer
Life’s purpose: assemblage of photo moments?
Distraction from being disoriented?
Fills awkward moments?
Changes you from passive receiver to active framer?
Early photojournalism Ulrich Keller
1820s- technology of camera photography
1890s- photojournalism
Key: the disconnect between technological possibility and the structures
that support it
o Economic infrastructure
o Organizational infrastructure
What made photojournalism viable
Use of reproduction technology; half-tone illustration reproduction
o More outlets
Development of hand-held (small, fast) cameras, leaving tripods behind
o More subjects, including the trivial
New agency development
o More coverage
o A point is reached where no important event can take place without
extensive photographic coverage
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Photography Sontag reading What photograph meant to society To photograph is to appropriate the thing being photographed (174) Pictures provide Value Evidence Writing vs photo While a painting or pose description can never be other than a narrowly select9ive interpretation, a photograph can be treated as a narrowly selective transparency (175) Social context Nuclear family as dominant social unit Multi-generations under one roof model in decline Documenting for one another Sontag These is an aggression implicit in every use of the camera Experience as photographer Lifes purpose: assemblage of photo moments? Distraction from being disoriented? Fills awkward moments? Changes you from passive receiver to active framer? Early photojournalism Ulrich Keller 1820s- technology of camera photography 1890s- photojournalism Key: the disconnect between technological possibility and the structures that support it o Economic infrastructure o Organizational infrastructure What made photojournalism viable Use of reproduction technology; half-tone illustration reproduction o More outlets Development of hand-held (small, fast) cameras, leaving tripods behind o More subjects, including the trivial New agency development o More coverage o A point is reached where no important event can take place without extensive photographic coverage Styles of photojournalism What should a news photograph look like? Collaboration between photographers like editors Feelings about photojournalisms rise Harpers weekly; we cant see the ideas for the illustration. Our world is simply flooded with them Wordsworth: Now pose and verse sunk into disrepute Must laquey a dumb art that best can suit The taste of this once intellectual land A backward movement sure
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit