Oct 2nd,2013- Lecture 4.docx

4 Pages

Department
Social Science
Course Code
SOSC 1140
Professor
John Simoulidis

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
SOSC 1140
Self, Culture and Society
Lecture 4
October 2nd, 2013
[Power is] the possibility of imposing ones will upon the behavior of other persons (from Max Weber on Law
in Economy and Society, P. 323)
“The Manifested will (command) of the ruler or rulers is meant to influence the conduct of one or more others
(the ruled) and actually does influence it in such a way that their conduct…occurs as if the ruled has made the
content of the command the maxim of their conduct for its very own sake” (page 328)
What happens when relationships between the ruler and ruled do not go as expected?
Monty Python- the annoying peasant (Youtube Video)
Lecture Outline: (Bold= Key Concepts/Important Ideas)
Today in the House of Social science: The room of Sociology
What is society? We need to construct a concept of our object of analysis (THIS IS NOT the same
thing as the ‘real object’)
Tonnies: Gemeinschaft and Gesellschaft
Context: Rise of “market society”
Weber: Why study “Bureaucracy”?
Attributes of Bureaucracy (both public and private)
Modernity and the rise of “modern bureaucracy”
Giddens and modern sociology: What is “modernity’?
Ferdinand Tonnies (1865-1936)
Sympathized with Hamburg dock strickers in 1896- Prussian government considered him a social
democrat and denied him full professorship until 1913.
Co-founder of German Society of Sociology (president 1909-1933)
Removed from post due to his criticism of the Naxis
Published Gemeinshaft und Gesellschaft (1887)
Helped to create discipline of sociology
What is the argument?
What is ‘society and how can ‘society be ‘known’? Need a concept of it ‘in our heads’
Society is best understood in terms of the relation between two parts that make up the ‘whole’
Gemeinschaft: translated as ‘community, the level of society where ties are informal and cooperative,
most often associated with kinship ties (Diamond!)
Think back to the difficult part in Diamond’s reading of forms of kinship ties, forms of primitive life
and how different it is to our economic life today.
Gesellschaft: translated a ‘society, the level of society where ties are formal and based on individual
self- interest, where there is a complex and impersonal division of labour.
There might be “a” division of labour, but it is never impersonal, it is very personal.
What is Society?
Why is this distinction useful?
First, distinguishing two components (maybe more?) of society allows us to be more precise about what
it is that we are analyzing: a complex object

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
SOSC 1140 Self, Culture and Society Lecture 4 nd October 2 , 2013  [Power is] the possibility of imposing one’s will upon the behavior of other persons’ (from Max Weber on Law  in Economy and Society, P. 323) “The Manifested will (command) of the ruler or rulers is meant to influence the conduct of one or more others  (the ruled) and actually does influence it in such a way that their conduct…occurs as if the ruled has made the  content of the command the maxim of their conduct for its very own sake” (page 328)   ▯What happens when relationships between the ruler and ruled do not go as expected?   ▯Monty Python­ the annoying peasant (Youtube Video)  Lecture Outline: (Bold= Key Concepts/Important Ideas) • Today in the House of Social science: The room of Sociology • What is society? We need to construct a concept of our object of analysis (THIS IS NOT the same  thing as the ‘real object’)  • Tonnies: Gemeinschaft and Gesellschaft   ▯Context: Rise of “market society” • Weber: Why study “Bureaucracy”?   ▯Attributes of Bureaucracy (both public and private)   ▯Modernity and the rise of “modern bureaucracy”  • Giddens and modern sociology: What is “modernity’?  Ferdinand Tonnies (1865­1936)  • Sympathized with Hamburg dock strickers in 1896­ Prussian government considered him a social  democrat and denied him full professorship until 1913.  • Co­founder of German Society of Sociology (president 1909­1933) • Removed from post due to his criticism of the Naxis • Published Gemeinshaft und Gesellschaft (1887) • Helped to create discipline of sociology  What is the argument?  • What is ‘society’ and how can ‘society’ be ‘known’? Need a concept of it ‘in our heads’ • Society is best understood in terms of the relation between two parts that make up the ‘whole’ • Gemeinschaft: translated as ‘community’, the level of society where ties are informal and cooperative,  most often associated with kinship ties (Diamond!)  ▯Think back to the difficult part in Diamond’s reading of forms of kinship ties, forms of primitive life  and how different it is to our economic life today. • Gesellschaft:  translated a ‘society’, the level of society where ties are formal and based on individual  self­ interest, where there is a complex and impersonal division of labour.   ▯There might be “a” division of labour, but it is never impersonal, it is very personal.  What is Society?  • Why is this distinction useful?  • First, distinguishing two components (maybe more?) of society allows us to be more precise about what  it is that we are analyzing: a complex object  • Second, it may help us understand the real/potential opposition between these two ‘parts’: what good for  “Gesellschaft’ may not be good for ‘Gemeinschaft’ (and vice versa)   ▯What’s good for the informal and impersonal modern economy may not be good for the community.   What might be good for one thing may not be good for another.  The Individual and Society:  • How do individuals relate to society?   ▯Individual as a means to serve the ends of social group ( Gemeinschaft­ Preserves community)  ­   ▯Social group as a means to serve private, individual ends ( Gesellschaft­ promotes individualism) ­ The structure relationship between the individual and society promotes individualism. The pursuit of  individual self­interest may antagonize the society. In Gesellschaft, there are other individuals outside of  yourself. Other selves are merely means to your own ends. We go up into Gesellschaft as if we are going  into foreign land.  ­ Weber may say that it is dehumanizing (being known as a number only)  ­ A great example would be one’s workplace.  • Pursuit of individual interests can be antagonistic to community­ may not ‘support the mental and  physical well­being of the other party’, and may ‘destroy them’ (page 17) • Tonnies says “we go out into Gesellschaft as if into a foreign land” (Page 18)­ any examples ? Conflict in Society: • Tonnies also makes the distinction between Gemeinschaft as “old”, rural, and of the common people and  Gesellschaft as “new”, urban and of science and the state.  • Gemeinschaft is a “living organism” (where “the primitive” is at home?) whereas Gesellschaft is “a  mechanical aggregate and artifact” (19)  • How “big” is your “Gemeinschaft”? Just your family? Religious group? Class Group? What other social  groups?  • How is conflict ‘managed’ within Gemeinschaft? Gesellschaft? When the people speak?  ▯Think about how Diamond talks about conflict. There was no state and there was no police. Order was  maintained in the kinship structure, the hierarchy that was assigned and within the traditional  institutions. How is conflict managed in our society? How is the conflict that documented in the people  speak? Conflict was managed through a third party, for instance the government. (Which side is the state  on?)  Modern Society: • This new way of looking at society coincides with the development of the “impersonal market” th • In the 19  century, a revolutionary change in the structure of society   ▯Gemeinschaft about association (Individ uated ‘social beings’)  ▯Gesellschaft abo
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit