SOSC 4352 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Indictable Offence, Homicide, Lifesaving

105 views11 pages

Document Summary

Sosc 4352: social dimensions of criminal law lecture 3: euthanasia laws in canada. Reading notes (cid:862)death and the la(cid:449)(cid:863) (cid:271)y russell a(cid:448)age. Assisted suicide: euthanasia is considered murder under section 229 of the criminal code because it cases the death of a person, or bodily harm which is known to lead to death. Doctors cannot carry out an act in the spur of the moment which would result in a(cid:374) i(cid:374)di(cid:448)idual(cid:859)s death (cid:449)ithout (cid:272)o(cid:374)side(cid:396)i(cid:374)g a(cid:374)(cid:455) fo(cid:396)ethought o(cid:396) pla(cid:374)(cid:374)i(cid:374)g. the. Criminal code does not distinguish killing motivated by an intent to end suffering; it only registers it as homicide in the first, or first degree murder, because there was intent to cause death before the action was carried through. Example: physician not taking any life-prolonging actions after consulting with the patient before they enter a certain health state: for an act to be criminal, it must have 2 components; actus reus and mens rea.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers