PRES 111 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Capital Flight, Intellectual Freedom, Multiple Choice

42 views2 pages
29 Apr 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor
Sample Test Format
Candidates will be expected to take part in a 5-7 minute speaking test and a 70 minute
Grammar and Reading test which consists of 100 questions. You can expect to find the following
type of questions as part of the test:
A) Multiple choice questions
Circle the correct answer.
1. What ____________ in London last weekend?
a. you were doing b. did you do c. you did d. did you
2. Is your English improving? ____________
a. I hope it b. Hoping c. I hope so d. I hope
B) A gap fill exercise
Choose the correct word to fill in the gaps in the text below.
The Pitcairn Islands are ____________ in the South Pacific Ocean, about halfway
_____________Peru and New Zealand. The larger island of Pitcairn was ___________________ in 1767
by the British and settled in 1790 by the mutineers from the English ship 'Bounty' and their Tahitian
companions.
a) located b) sited c) stationed d) settled
a) middle b) between c) centre d) close
a) uncovered b) discovered c) created d) invented
C) A short reading comprehension exercise
Read the text and answer the questions that follow it.
Reassessing the Impacts of Brain Drain on Developing Countries
Brain drain, which is the action of having highly skilled and educated people leaving their
country to work abroad, has become a source of concern for developing countries. Brain drain
is also referred to as human capital flight. More and more third world science and technology
educated people are heading for more prosperous countries seeking higher wages and better
working conditions. This has of course serious consequences on the sending countries.
While many people believe that immigration is a personal choice that must be understood and
respected, others look at the phenomenon from a different perspective. What makes those
educated people leave their countries should be seriously considered and a distinction
between push and pull factors must be made. The push factors include low wages and lack of
satisfactory working and living conditions. Social unrest, political conflicts and wars may also be
determining causes. The pull factors, however, include intellectual freedom and substantial
funds for research.
Brain drain has negative impact on the sending countries economic prospects and
competitiveness. It reduces the number of dynamic and creative people who can contribute to
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Candidates will be expected to take part in a 5-7 minute speaking test and a 70 minute. Grammar and reading test which consists of 100 questions. You can expect to find the following type of questions as part of the test: multiple choice questions. ___________: i hope it, hoping, i hope so, did you, i hope, a gap fill exercise. Choose the correct word to fill in the gaps in the text below. The pitcairn islands are ____________ in the south pacific ocean, about halfway. Read the text and answer the questions that follow it. Reassessing the impacts of brain drain on developing countries. Brain drain, which is the action of having highly skilled and educated people leaving their country to work abroad, has become a source of concern for developing countries. Brain drain is also referred to as human capital flight.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers