CRJ 308 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Restorative Justice, Social Learning Theory, African-American Culture

140 views8 pages

Document Summary

Theory and race: why race and crime? a. i. There are racial disparities in the criminal justice system a. i. 1. More violent crime occur in segregated black neighborhoods a. i. 2. Blau and blau (1982) - the cost of inequality: metropolitan structure and. Linked racial differences to economic inequality (achieved and ascribed) c. i. 2. William julius wilson (1987) the truly disadvantaged c. i. 2. a. Spatial arrangement or black communities is significant c. i. 3. Sampson and wilson (1995) - toward a theory of race, crime, and urban. Inequality. c. i. 3. a. (more information in part iii outline) c. i. 3. b. Argue that if whites and blacks experience equivalent levels of community disadvantage and isolation, then racial differences in culture attenuation and crime would disappear. (racial invariance hypothesis) c. i. 3. c. Anderson c. ii. 1. a. i. (more information in part iv outline) c. ii. 1. a. ii. The street code governs the interaction in socially isolated and disadvantaged neighborhoods. c. ii. 1. a. iii. The code is casually related to unconventional behavior c. ii. 1. b. Community-level concentrated disadvantage positively related to community rates of culturally retaliatory homicide c. ii. 1. c.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers