Biology
Course
BIOL 1020
Professor
Anne- Marie Singh
Semester
Fall

Description
BIOL 1020 – CHAPTER 8 LECTURE NOTES Chapter 8: An  introduction to metabolism Why do organisms need energy? How do organisms manage their energy  needs? I. Energy and thermodynamics a. Living organisms require energy to do work, any change in  state or motion of matter  i. energy can be expressed in units of work (kJ) or heat  energy (kcal); 1 kcal = 4.184 kJ  ii. energy can change forms (energy conversion)  iii. organisms carry out transformation in energy forms  between potential energy (capacity to do work) and  kinetic energy (energy of motion, actively performing  work)  iv. organisms commonly use chemical bonds for storage and  transfer of (potential) energy  v. work is required for the processes of life  b. Two laws of thermodynamics describe the constraints on energy  usage  i. First law: the total amount of energy (+ matter) in a  closed system remains constant (principle of  conservation of energy)• The universe is a closed  system • Living things are open systems  ii. Second law: in every energy conversion, some energy is  converted to heat energy that is lost to the  surroundings, and thus cannot be used for work  1. Every energy conversion increased the entropy of  the universe.  2. Energy converted to heat in the surroundings  increases entropy (spreading of energy)  3. no energy conversion is 100% efficient  4. organisms must get a constant influx of energy  because of energy is lost in conversions Metabolic  reactions include anabolism and catabolism, and  involve energy transfers  II. Metabolic reactions include anabolism and catabolism, and involve  energy transfers a. Recall that metabolism is the sum of chemical activities in a  organism  b. Metabolism can be divided into anabolism (anabolic reactions)  and catabolism (catabolic reactions)  i. anabolic reactions are processes that build complex  molecules from simpler ones  ii. catabolic reactions are processes the break down  complex molecules into simpler ones  c. Chemical reactions involve changes in chemical bonds and  substance concentrations, along with changes in free energy  i. free energy = energy available to do work in a chemical  reaction (such as: create a chemical bond)  1. free energy changes depend on bond energies and  concentrations of reactants and products 2. bond energy = energy required to break a bond;  value depends on the bond  3. left undisturbed, reactions will reach dynamic  equilibrium when the relative concentrations of  reactants and products is correct§§ forward and  reverse reaction rates are equal; concentrations  remain constant§§ cells manipulate relative  concentrations in many ways, so that equilibrium  is rare for key reactions  ii. exergonic reactions – the products have less free energy  than reactants  1. the difference in energy is released and is  available to do work  2. exergonic reactions are thermodynamically  favored; thus, they are spontaneous, but not  necessarily fast (more on activation energy later)  3. catabolic reactions are usually exergonic  4. ATP + H2Oà▯ADP + Pi is highly exergonic in  cellular conditions  iii. endergonic reactions – the products have more free  energy than the reactants 1. the difference in free energy must be supplied  (stored in chemical bonds)  2. endergonic reactions are not thermodynamically  favored, so they are not spontaneous  3. an endergonic reaction is coupled with an  exergonic reaction to provide the needed energy to  drive an endergonic reaction§§ together, the  coupled reactions must have a net exergonic  nature§§ reaction coupling requires that the  reactions share a common intermediate(s)  EXAMPLE:Aà▯B (exergonic)C à▯D (endergonic) Coupled: A + Cà▯B + D (overall exergonic)  Actually: A + Cà▯I à▯B + D  §§ typically, the  exergonic reaction in the couple is ATP +  H2Oà▯ADP + Pi  4. anabolic reactions are usually endergonic One way  that organisms manage their energy needs is to use  ATP as a ready energy source for many reactions.  III. ATP is the main energy currency in cells a. Recall ATP (adenosine triphosphate) is a nucleotide with  adenine base, ribose sugar, and a chain of 3 phosphate groups  b. The last two phosphate groups are joined to the phosphate  group chain by unstable bonds; breaking these bonds is  relatively easy, and releases energy; thus:1. hydrolysis of ATP  to ADP and inorganic phosphate (Pi) releases energy ATP +  H2Oà▯ADP + Pi2. the amount of energy released depends in  part on concentrations of reactants and products, but is  generally ~30 kJ/mol  c. Intermediates are involved when ATP hydrolysis is coupled to a  reaction to provide energy; often these involve phosphorylated  compounds, with the inorganic phosphate removed from ATP  transferred onto another compound rather than being  immediately releasedEXAMPLE: glucose + fructoseà▯sucrose  + H2O (endergonic; requires ~27 kJ/mol) ATP + H2OàA ▯ DP +   Pi (provides ~30 kJ/mol)coupled: glucose + fructose + ATP +  H2Oà▯sucrose + H2O + ADP + Pi  intermediates: glucose +  fructose + ATP + H2Oà▯glucose­P + fructose + ADP  à  ▯ sucrose  + H2O + ADP + P simplified: glucose + fructose +  ATPà▯sucrose +ADP + Pi  d. Thus, energy transfer in cellular reactions is often accomplished  through transfer of a phosphate group from ATP  e. Making ATP involves an endergonic condensation reaction  i. reverse of an exergonic reaction is always endergonic  ADP + Pi à  ▯ ATP + H2O (endergonic, usually requires  more than ~30 kJ/mol)  ii. must be coupled with an exergonic reaction; typically  from a catabolic pathway  f. ATP is typically created in catabolic reactions and used in  anabolic reactions, linking those aspects of metabolism  g. Cells maintain high levels of ATP relative to ADP  i. maximizes energy available from hydrolysis of ATP  ii. ratio typically greater than 10 ATP: 1 ADP  h. Overall concentration of ATP still very low  i. supply typically only enough for a few seconds at best  ii. instability prevents stockpiling  iii. must be constantly produced  iv. in a typical cell, the rate of use and production of ATP is  about 10 million molecules per second  v. resting human has less than 1 g of ATP at any given time  but uses about 45 kg per day  Redox reactions are used to harvest energy from some chemicals; the  acceptors of that energy typically cannot be used directly as energy currency. IV. Redox reactions are also used for energy transfer a. Electrons can also be used for energy transfer  i. Redox reactions: recall reduction, gain electrons;  oxidation, lose electrons; both occur simultaneously in  cells (generally no free electrons in cells) ii. Typically, the oxidized substance gives up energy with  the elect
More Less

Related notes for BIOL 1020

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit