History
Course
HIST 1010
Professor
John Stephens
Semester
Fall

Description
8.9 know: who kalif Ali is and how Ali gives advice to Malik aushter.  11.5 what kind of advice, social classes in Egypt, and way he should govern 11.8 what Mongol khans think about pope, particularly power of pope 13.1 and what type of relationship he thinks pope should have with  mogul khans 13.4 where humanity sits in great chain of being and how consciousness  of thought influences that.  13.6 martin Luther and thoughts on pope. What guys call selves 13.8 Society of Jesus and who decided in constitution would be only  person they’d take orders from and why in guide book were concerned  with becoming pure or piased Christians THE RISE OF ISLAM I. Surrender and submit to Allah a. The prophet and his world i. Arab world­ herders, merchants, cities, tribes ii. Mecca­ first center of Muhammad’s world iii. 622­ Muhammad and followers flee to medina iv. 630­ return to mecca v. The Quran and the five pillars  1.  One god­ Allah a. Muhammad is prophet 2. Face mecca and pray several times a day (three then grows  to five times a day) 3. Fasting­ Ramadan  4. Give to poor  5. The haj­ pilgrimage to mecca b. After the prophet  i. 632­ Muhammad dies ii. Who will be caliph? iii. Umayyad and Abbasid empires 1. Any religious practice as long as no rebellions and paid  taxes. iv. Sunni v. Shia Muslims v. Dar al­Islam and the Dar al­Harb vi. The Dhimmis c. Converts, trade, culture i. Trade major factor in expansion of Islam ii. Umayyad and Abbasid empires another anchor for east­west trade iii. Moorish Iberia­the al­Andalus iv. West and east Africa v. The story of Mansa Musa II. Conclusion a. Arab contact with non­Arabs and multirole religions created context for  birth of Islam b. Muhammad seen as one in a long line of prophets c. War and peace shape Islam after the death of Muhammad d. Trade important in the expansion of Islam throughout Europe, Africa, and  Asia e. Islam plays enormous role in connecting African states and cultures to the  broader trading zone of Eurasia EMPIRE ON HORSEBACK I. Empire and its consequences a. The pax mongolica i. 1206­ the building of empire begins ii. trade flourishes under Mongolian rule iii. the great khan and disputes over rule iv. late 1200s­ creation of the khanates v. the golden horde and the Yuan b. Tartars and Muscovy i. The rus princes and the rota system ii. The golden horde and Islam iii. Muthovy eventually becomes home of grand prince iv. 15thcentury­ the third Rome and orthodoxy v. 16  century­ Ivan IV and primogeniture  c. The Yuan i. 1270s­ Mongols establish the Yuan dynasty in china ii. Kublai khan considered first emperor iii. Cothucian tradition withers iv. 14  century­ inflation and the bubonic plague v. 1368­ the Ming dynasty II. Conclusion a. Mongols were more than “barbarians” b. The empire and the khanates create the pax mongolica c. Establishment of the largest empire in human history has enormous  impact on a divers array of cultures d. Muscovy and the Russian empire greatly shaped by contact with  Mongols e. The Yuan the first dynasty of  EUROPE, C. 1000­1492 I. People, religion, and government a. Christendom i. Roman Catholicism glue for European culture ii. The papacy and bishops iii. Emergence of cardinals iv. Saints, purgatory, and the sacraments v. The monastic ideal v. Tarnished papacy b. Society and government i. Nobility­ origins rest in military tradition ii. 100­1350s­ serfdom predominates iii. Political map looks very different iv. The monarchial state v. The holy roman empire and the Hapsburgs II. Crises of the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries a. Disease and war i. The black death ii. Plague enters via trade routes iii. One­third of population reduced iv. 1337­1453 – the hundred years war v. The long bow, Agincourt, and Joan of arc b. The Reconquista and inquisition i. Muslims and Jews in Europe for centuries ii. 1469­ Isabella (castile) and Ferdinand (Aragon) wed iii. 1492­ the Reconquista completed iv. 1480 Spanish inquisition brutal v. Spain a confessional state The Renaissance I. To Greece and Rome for the future a. Back to the classics i. Humanism and classical learning ii. Rhetoric, language, oration iii. Petrarch­ early father of humanism in 14  century iv. Reconcile Christian and Greco­Roman learning b. Civic humanism i. Conthict between city states ii. 15  cent. ­ Humanists long look for stability  iii. Cicero, Plato, Julius Caesar iv. Niccolò Machiavelli­ the civic humanist c. Christian humanism i. Humanism still concerned with religion ii. Turn language skills on religious texts iii. The “donation of Constantine” iv. Erasmus­ reform and rhetoric THE REFORMATION I. Schism within Christendom a. The rise of Protestantism i. 1520s­ Luther and sola scriptura ii. Charles V and crisis in holy roman empire iii. 1530s­ the emergence of Calvinism iv. And alternative­ Anabaptism b. The catholic response i. Erasmus’ criticism basically acknowledged ii. 1545­ council of Trent called iii. Reform in response to Protestantism iv. 1534­ Ignatius Loyola and the society of Jesus v. Jesuits: special forces: of counter­reformation c. The consequences of reformation i. The rise of the confessional state ii. All faiths acquire martyrs iii. Religious war iv. Toleration­ the peace of Westphalia (1648) II. Conclusion a. Medieval Europe defined by the concept Christendom and the interplay  between secular ath religthus power b. Crises of the 14  and 15  centuries highlight the comparative hardship that  exists in western Europe  c. Ital. creates conditions for the renaissance and the emergence of humanism d. Humanism shapes the reformation in Europe e. Early modern period born with rise of monarchial/confessional states in  Europe NEW ISLAMIC EMPIRES I. The Ottomans a. Islamic empire ottoman style i. Byzantine empire weak by 15  century ii. Osman and the abode of Islam iii. Gunpowder weapons iv. Degree of religious toleration  v. Persecution, devsirme and the janissaries 1. Devsirme­ children taken 2. Janissaries­ soldier. Personal ones of sultan b. Sultan süleyman vs. Hapsburgs i. Sultan süleyman the lawgiver/magnificent (1520­1566) ii. Claim to have restored the caliphate of Islam  iii. The Hapsburgs and the siege of Vienna (1529) iv. Charles V and Ferdinand I v. Fight over Hungary and the Balkans II. The Mughals a. Running and empire in India i. Akbar the great (1556­1605) ii. Akbar greatly expands empire iii. Muslims vs. Hindus iv. Shah Jahan does not compromise on religion b. Religion in India i. Mughal period sees the rise of mysticism ii. Sufi Muslims iii. The bhakti devotional movement iv. Blurring between religions begins v. Guru nanak and the Sikhs  I. Asia a. The Ming and zheg he i. The Ming dynasty and the yongle emperor ii. 1405­1433­ seven massive expeditions iii. zheng he­ Muslim eunuch iv. 1424­ yongle emperor dies v. zheng he is outsider among Confucian elite b. Mamluks and Guajarati
More Less

Related notes for HIST 1010

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit