PSYC 2010 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Eardrum, Oval Window, Basilar Membrane

28 views2 pages
harlequinfrog14 and 47 others unlocked
PSYC 2010 Full Course Notes
PSYC 2010 Full Course Notes
Verified Note
25 documents

Document Summary

Audition: hearing; the sense of sound perception, sound wave: a pattern of changes in air pressure during a period of time, which produces the percept of a sound. This does(cid:374)"t (cid:374)e(cid:272)essarily have to (cid:271)e air pressure- sound waves travel faster in water (the molecules are closer together) Humans hear 20 hz to around 20,000 hz. The hammer hits the anvil and gets on the stirrup (ossicles- three bones in the middle ear) That vibration causes the oval window to vibrate: the o(cid:448)al (cid:449)i(cid:374)do(cid:449) (cid:448)i(cid:271)ratio(cid:374) (cid:272)reates pressure (cid:449)a(cid:448)es i(cid:374) the i(cid:374)(cid:374)er ear"s fluid (cochlea). Tonotopic layout of cochlea: low pitch soundwaves travel the furthest in the cochlea, and high pitch travel the shortest, the cochlea is shaped like a snail. Vestibular system: vestibular sense: perception of balance determined by receptors in the inner ear. Canals contain a liquid that move when the head moves, bending the hair cells at the ends of the canal.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers