Class Notes (1,100,000)
US (470,000)
Baruch (1,000)
PSY (20)
staff (10)
Lecture 3

PSY 3065 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Base Rate, Counterfactual Thinking, Representativeness Heuristic

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSY 3065
Professor
staff
Lecture

This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Chapter 3
Schemas mental structures that organize our knowledge of the social world
o can have about social groups, gender, race
o can be memory guides, help us remember info but also remember info that was never there
Social cognition how people think about themselves and the social world
o how people select, interpret, remember and use social info to make judgements and decisions
Self-fulfilling prophecy lil confusing but ALVIN U GOT THIS SHIT
o Your intital expectation about another person upon meeting, influences how you act with that
particular person
Thus causes that person to behave consistently with expectations that you gave to em
THE EXPECTATIONS BECOME TRUE
Automatic thinking quick, no conscious deliberation of thoughts, perceptions, schema-related
Accesibility - etet to hih sheas ad oepts are at the forefrot of people’s ids are are
thereful likely to be used when we are making judgements about the social world
o Ways something can become accessible:
Chronically accessible due to a past experience
Relatable to current goals
Temporarily accessible due to our recent experience
Controlled thinking effortful and deliberate, carefully selecting the right course of action
Priming process by which recent experiences increase the accessibility of a schema, trait or concept
Judgmental heuristics mental shortcuts people use to make judgements quickly and effciently
o Availability heuristic soeties hat’s easiest to reeer is ot tpial of the oerall
picture, leading to faulty conclusions
shark attacks are fucking scary pero like there are more dog attacks that occur.. like 4.5
million more dog attacks, so we should actually be afraid of those pugs on the street
o Representativeness heuristic where people classify something according to how similiar it is to
a typical case
Base rate prior odds that a member of a specified population will have a certain
harateristi, assuig e do’t ko othig else aout e
Barnum Effect statements that are vague enough that everything can think behavior
that is similar to the feedback
Ex: personality test, horoscopes
Counterfactual thinking iagiig hat ould’e ee, ig ifluee o eotioal reatios to eets
o easier to mentally undo an outcome, the stronger the emotional reaction to it (2nd vs 3rd place)
Analytic thinking focus on objects without considering surrounding context, western cultures
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version