ENGLISH 119 Lecture Notes - Lecture 23: Oroonoko, Secret History

42 views3 pages
School
Department

Document Summary

Fantomina, part i: lesson plan, defining and estimating genres of romance and nouvelle, fantomina: rejecting moral aspects of romance b. i) depicting desiring woman rejecting discretion b. ii) This put haywood in a bad light (b. i. 1. a) She"s announcing herself as a mistress and woman who is selling her name b. ii) alluring of secret history (b. ii. 1) Readers try to decipher the anonymity of characters (b. ii. 1. a) Puts love at the front and center of the novel b. ii) b. iii) language is verbose; sentences are drawn out (b. iii. 1) Italian and french language have languages of extravagance b. iv) not as many everyday details (b. iv. 1) Time passes in which we don"t know what happens in fantomina (b. iv. 1. a) Defoe"s novel uses conventions to ground the plot so that it seems probable/could be true. Romance is not even deemed as a literary critical c. ii) negative associations with romance genre (c. ii. 1) Seen as a way to pass time for mere entertainment (c. ii. 1. a) No developmental knowledge acquired from reading (c. ii. 2) (c. ii. 3)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers