PHILOS 135 Lecture Notes - Lecture 14: List Of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Characters, Semantic Theory Of Truth, If And Only If

34 views2 pages
17 Aug 2016
School
Department

Document Summary

Snow is white" is true in l iff snow is white b. formal constraints - compositional requirement b. i. Holds true and the conditions under which he holds them true c. ii. 1. a. i. c. ii. 1. a. ii. I hold snow is white" to be true regardless of condition. I hold i am in berkeley true under some conditions and not others. c. ii. 2. How exactly do they bear on the acceptability of the theory? c. iii. Point of contact between theory of truth and the evidence: the t sentences c. iii. 1. The evidence doesn"t directly bear on the internal articulation of the theory/the axioms c. iii. 2. The axioms are empirically adequate iff they yield acceptable t-sentences c. iv. c. v. Reference is something that we just stipulate in order to have a compositional theory. How do we go from feeling we know what a person holds to be true by their sentence to the t sentence. c. v. 1. ultimate evidence is conditions under which a speaker holds his sentences to be true.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers