PHILOS 146 Lecture Notes - Lecture 17: Sentence Clause Structure, Equivalence Class, If And Only If

26 views2 pages
18 Aug 2016
School
Department
Professor

Document Summary

Do not think that the relation in a judgment c(a) is some r(c, a) - it is essential to the concept that it is unsaturated so that it can be filled. Further it would be wrong to think that c and a saturated a relation, for that would be regress, e. g. q(r, c, a: distinction between properties of the concepts and marks/characteristics of the concept, concept, properties b. i. Body might have the property that at least one thing falls under it (property which applies to concepts) b. i. 1. Uses it to argue against kant (that existence is a property). Also blocks the ontological argument for god b. i. 1. a. Existence is a second order, not first order, property, for it asserts that a concept has an extension b. ii. E. g. having something fall under is a property of properties (p(x)) - the extension of this property is nonempty: marks/characteristics c. i. What goes into the explicit definition of the concept.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers