POL SCI 3 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Causal Inference, Political Psychology, Internal Validity

14 views2 pages

Document Summary

14 internal validity problems deal with experimental procedures (hamper ability to reach valid causal inference) X (1) induced state failure: s is the independent variable, common in political psychology, state is emotion, case 1: don"t/ fail to induce your state b. i. If you don"t realize the failure, you get the wrong inference: case 2: you induce additional states c. i. You induce anger in addition to fear inferential problem: don"t know if effect is due to fear or anger difference (anger is confounding state: case 3: induce another state d. i. Induce fear instead of anger inference that fear matters when it is anger that actually matters e. f. Induced state is problematic because easy to fail, which leads to the wrong inference. Solution: always pilot your induced state treat and provide evidence for a manipulation check f. i. Mc: gather evidence on state you are manipulating f. ii. Mc = evidence on how t&c differ on sx (fear) and sz (anger: caveats g. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers